Truetone pickup still being made.?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Ray Miller

Truetone pickup still being made.?

Post by Larry Ray Miller »

I have a Russler guitar with a Truetone pickup. It is the best sounding guitar that I have owned. I would like to find the same pickup for my Mullen. I have a e66 on it now. The best that I have fond for it, but still not exactly what
I like. I haven't seen a update since 2012. Are these still in production?⁹
MSA Classic,Rustler Eldorado,Nashville 112, Session 500, Gretch, Ovation.
Don Downes

Post by Don Downes »

Tele, Strat, Gretsch 12-string, 335, Yamaha Bass, Blues Deluxe Reissue, JC-120, Hammond BV, Yamaha MO8, DW Collector Series drums, Cubase, and more stuff
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Unfortunately, the maker of Truetone pickups, Jerry Wallace, passed away last year - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=354343

You'll have to find NOS or used examples. I agree, they're great pickups.

Also moving to Electronics.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Jerry Wallace died getting close to two years ago. Truetones are not being made.
This is a good option:
https://www.steeltronics.com/product/ce ... tar-pickup
Don Downes

Post by Don Downes »

The pickup from 'verb is used. I have a Wallace TT-10 installed in my '74 MSA. The previous owner removed the original MSA pup and installed the TT-10. Interestingly, (or not), he didn't bother to wire it into the V/T controls. I've been using it that way and I love it. It's warm and fat with the slightest bit of twang. I don't use picks (a la Daniel Lanois) and this is super responsive. Just the slighted bit of vibrato comes through very nicely. I measured it out to 17.6k ohms.

If the 'verb one is not your style, try calling the shop. Maybe the have others.
Tele, Strat, Gretsch 12-string, 335, Yamaha Bass, Blues Deluxe Reissue, JC-120, Hammond BV, Yamaha MO8, DW Collector Series drums, Cubase, and more stuff
Dean Holman

Post by Dean Holman »

I’m going to be honest, but if it’s for a Mullen, I think Mullen makes great single coil pickups. I would not hesitate to use a Mullen single coil, over a Truetone. For one reason, they make, and wind their pickups, to get the best balanced tone out of their guitars. There’s a reason, they make their own pickups. JMO...
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Steeltronics makes Trutone type pickups. I have the ZB model in my Williams and Sierra. Very nice vibe.

https://www.steeltronics.com
I survived the sixties!