Jack Broadbent, Hailed as The new master of the slide guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dave Sky

Jack Broadbent, Hailed as The new master of the slide guitar

Post by Dave Sky »

Jack Broadbent, described by the Montreux Jazz Festival as "The new master of the slide guitar" performs Canned Heat's "On The Road Again" live at the 50th anniversary of the Festival, 8th July 2016.I am new to this player. He uses a flask as a slide and sits on a Roland Street Cube amp. Jack Broadbent is opening for Little Feat now. What do you think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJxkdmBm010
Dave Sky

Post by Dave Sky »

I guess I should have done a search before posting. It appears you folks know about him. And again,, I am late to the party...
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

I saw him as an opening act at a concert a few years ago. I thought he was fun to watch as I had no idea that there would be an opening act. At that time I thought the flask slide was bit gimmicky but I've never tried it so...

I have played my acoustic lap steel with a beer bottle before though and that was pure gimmick ;-)
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Of course, he's playing lap steel here, and all the slidin' I've seen him do is on his lap. I guess it's all 'slide guitar' to a lot of people. I see nonpedal steel guitar and slide guitar very closely related, but not exactly the same.

Perhaps using a flask looks a bit gimmicky, but I don't think it matters a whit what he uses as a bar. Musically, he's coming from a very long tradition of blues playing, always good to see a younger player taking the torch.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

With a flask that is filled, the sound gets thinner as the evening progresses.
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

Mike, that's funny! When I played with the beer bottle I started with a full one but it was heavy and the sloshing liquid made it hard to play so I emptied it. Not to be wasteful I drank it quickly in order to get back to playing. I did notice the tone was thinner with the empty bottle but much easier to play ;-)

Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Nice bluesy stuff. It looks like the flask is more than a gimmick for him though, it actually prevents him from muting behind the slide. It also moves his hand much higher over the fretboard and he uses the leverage to effect. Unusual, but I guess he considers that to be a big part of his sound.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I think the flask forces his more aggressive style, which is very effective and engaging. He establishes a solid groove and stays in it. I looked up some of his other vids. He’s done his homework and is no one-trick pony. Good singer and plays decent straight guitar.

I had not heard of this fellow. “The New Master” is way over the top marketing, of course, but I like the music and the attitude. Thanks for posting.
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

I have met him before. Nice guy. Developed his style by being a street performer.
Ted Smith
Location: Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"

Post by Ted Smith »

I know Jack well enough he won't mind me hi-jacking this post a bit and showing another player out of Australia that's doing DUAL bars...so cool, haven't mastered it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-AVlxO7E0Q

Love these innovative players reaching outside the box like this!!!
old Melobar guy