Tuner Out Mod Mystery

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joel Jackson

Tuner Out Mod Mystery

Post by Joel Jackson »

I've got a friend who's a newer steel player who bought a used Goodrich L120 a little while back. The 2nd output jack had tuner out hand written on the label on the back. Strangely, the volume for the "tuner out" was controlled by the pot in the same fashion the amp output is. I figured someone must have modded it and changed it back at some point. I told him not to worry, i've got a friend who's always got a soldering iron on who helped put a tuner out on my Goodrich recently. I take it over to him, we open the thing up and to our surprise there was already a wire jumpered over to the tuner out with a 1 meg resistor in line from the input. Yet the tuner out was still being controlled by the pot. He tested continuity and all that, not that it's really necessary in this situation because even a dummy like me can see what's happening. We soldered another lead between the input and tuner out jack. Same thing still. Bewildered, we eventually got the thing back together, adjusted the spring clip placement which was keeping the pedal from being able to rest in the off position, and called my pal to tell him we were too stupid to figure out what was happening. Any ideas?
Dick Sexton

Volume Pedal Mod

Post by Dick Sexton »

Joel Jackson

Post by Joel Jackson »

Well, that's what we were planning on doing until we opened it up and realized that's how it was wired already, but not working correctly. Thus our confusion.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

The two output jacks would have been factory wired with a jumper between the hot lugs. This needs to be clipped.
Joel Jackson

Post by Joel Jackson »

The two output jacks were not wired together...
Cappone dAngelo

Post by Cappone dAngelo »

Is it a passive volume pedal? If so, is the input perhaps wired to the wiper of the pot (as opposed to the outer lug)? If so, this could explain the behaviour - since the pot would be grounding out the input (and therefore also the tuner output to which it is attached) as the pedal is rocked to the heel position.

If you have a DMM, you could measure the resistance between the output and ground, and see if the resistance decreases as the pedal is rocked to heel position.

If you're able to post detailed photos we *may* be able to help more.
Joel Jackson

Post by Joel Jackson »

Thanks Cappone, i think you might be right. If I remember correctly the input was connected to the middle lug of the pot. I'll take another look at it.