Sho~Bud Seat Restoration…Completed

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Van Hoose

Sho~Bud Seat Restoration…Completed

Post by Jerry Van Hoose »

While not having very much to do, out of sheer boredom, I decided to completely restore an old Sho~Bud seat. I realize this is trivial but, why was the metal logo on the front installed at an angle rather than horizontally? Also, keeping with originality, wasn’t a leather retaining strap used to limit travel on the open lid/top and if so, which side? Here are a couple of photos for comparison, a new one from 1975 along with the seat that I’m restoring.
Last edited by Jerry Van Hoose on 17 Nov 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Hopkins

Sho bud seat

Post by Larry Hopkins »

It looks great ,Jerry,I have 2 seats,one has a metal hinge ,the other one has a leather strap on the left side,both sho bud emblems are mounted on a angle,it does look better horizontal,where did you find your emblem ,looks good :eek:
Larry
,peavey renown 115,Vegas 400, Peavey envoy, peavy bandit 65 head,baby bloomer
2 -Nashville 400, Emmons SD-10 legrande lll ,Emmons Black Rock ,sho-bud pac a seat,,;
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

With the nameplate straight, the script is slanted. And with the nameplate slanted, the script is straight. Neither is right or wrong, it's all just personal preference.
Jerry Van Hoose

Thanks, Larry. I bought the seat in order to get the logo for my Sho~Bud amp but decided to restore the seat so, I’m still looking for a metal Sho~Bud logo. 😂
Jerry Van Hoose

Donny, thanks. You’re right, standing back and looking at it, I see what you mean. I guess either way is ok. My original Sho~Bud seat that I purchased new around 1975 from the old store on Broadway had the logo mounted horizontally like I reapplied this one. However, seems every other one that I’ve ever seen had the logo mounted at an angle. By the way, if anybody needs some of those 1” plug inserts for the legs for these old seats, I’ve got some. They’re hard black plastic and won’t scratch the floor. Just send a PM and your address and I’ll send them to you.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I don't recall where the lid retaining strap was on a Sho-Bud seat, but every other brand I've had or seen the strap or whatever material was always on the left. Same way with steel cases, on the left.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Whenever you have something out of perspective alignment, that captures the eye of someone looking on.
So the first thing they see is the name sho-bud, that's great advertisement.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Mike Bagwell

Post by Mike Bagwell »

I bought this new in 1975, the cost $40.00. I recovered the top in leather many years ago, but that's the original strap.

Mike
Jerry Van Hoose

Jack, thanks for the info on the strap positioning and Mike, thanks for the pictures of your open seat. That’s about what I paid for mine too in 1975. I’ve since repositioned the metal logo at an angle like yours and all of the rest. I’m going to reupholster the top in a few days, going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow for new foam and black vinyl.
Jerry Van Hoose

I finally finished the Sho~Bud seat restoration, got sidetracked replacing timing belt and tensioner on my Honda Odyssey, a little more work than I anticipated. I tried to keep the seat as original as possible, repositioned name plate, used existing screw holes for everything, repainted inside storage area, used same size foam padding and as close to the original vinyl as I could find. I suppose it’ll be a novelty item as my main seat is a Steelers Choice by Dan Rollans.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

awesome … great job
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Great job Jerry! Both my seats have the logo slanted and the leather strap when open is on the volume pedal compartment side. Yours looks great! Nice work!
Leon Champion

best

Post by Leon Champion »

NICE
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Very nice!
Roy McKinney

Post by Roy McKinney »

Your compartment layout is 180 degrees out from my old ShoBud Seat.
Jerry Van Hoose

Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments. Oops, yes I forgot the leather strap, will get the leather material to make one whenever I go back by Hobby Lobby, probably this weekend. Roy, you’re right, throughout the years, I’ve seen a couple of different configurations in the storage compartments.
Roy McKinney

Post by Roy McKinney »

I should have mentioned mu ShoBud logo is entirely different also.