Wanted 3 way switch for Fender Dual6

Post here if you're looking for something special
Carl McLaughlin

Wanted 3 way switch for Fender Dual6

Post by Carl McLaughlin »

Looking for a replacement 3 way switch for my Fender Dual 6
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Isn't that a common three-position blade switch? Like a Telecaster?
Carl McLaughlin

Switch

i have not taken the switch out as yet, wanted to have a new one before i do that.
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

------> https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/com ... ver-switch

You might wanna check the wiring first. It could just be a bad connection.
Carl McLaughlin

Switch

The switch is stiff. has less signal in center position, full signal on each neck position.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Carl, that is the normal sound on my Stringmaster from the same era. The combination of two necks is not as loud and proud as either neck alone.
Carl McLaughlin

Switch

Thanks for that info.

carl :)
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

has less signal in center position, full signal on each neck position.
That's how most multi-neck guitars are. Activating more than one neck at a time will diminish the volume and tone of each neck.
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 14 Nov 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl McLaughlin

Switch

Thanks again. i did not know that, now just to adjust and lube so its not so stiff. Only stiff in one direction, maybe the lever is a little bent one way. I will wait till i have to replace the strings to work on it.

Carl
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

It wouldn't hurt to give the switch a shot of DeoxIT:

Carl McLaughlin

Switch

I have sprayed it with Nu-Trol contact cleaner. I have always trusted it as it lubricates as well as cleaning.
Carl McLaughlin

Switch

Do the members think Deoxit is better than Nu-Trol?
Garry Vanderlinde

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

The combination of two necks is not as loud and proud as either neck alone
The output on my guitar, with the 3-position switch, is reduced by half in the middle(both necks ON) position.

neck 1 only = 6.6 ohms
neck 2 only =6.7 ohms
both necks on = 3.4 ohms

Some players like the open all necks-on sound. Noel Boggs, for instance, kept his Fender quad wide open I was told.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Carl, the stiffness could be mechanical. Did you try to loosen it up a bit with repeated, vigorous switching?
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

FYI Just to clarify, the switch in the middle position puts the wiring of the pickups in parallel. The output in parallel is a little less than it would be wired in series and the tone is a cleaner less muddy sound. This is all normal, neither series nor parallel wiring is "better", it all depends on what sound you are looking for.
The switch itself is a very simple mechanical part and can usually be adjusted to eliminate issues. Don't use WD-40, Deoxit is good and the most used contact cleaner.
Like with any old instrument, careful maintenance is an ongoing necessity with these old Fenders. Modifications, on the other hand, should only be done for a very specific reason and are not usually a good idea.