Emmett Chapman

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Michael Johnstone

Emmett Chapman

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Another great tree has fallen. A brilliant American original. If you're not familiar with his great invention - the Chapman Stick, you should be. Emmett dreamed up this fascinating thing and the techniques needed to play it back in 1969 in his little house up in Laurel Canyon. Besides becoming a virtuoso on it and teaching his two handed tapping method to others, he built thousands of instruments since then in his shop in the Woodland Hills right down the road from me. Now there is a small army of brilliant players all over the world playing every sort of music from Bach to jazz to funk to heavy metal to Russian folk music on Stick. I spent many hours at his shop under his tutelage trying to carve out my own voice on this strange beast of an instrument.
Well done Emmett. A life well spent.
Image [/img]

https://youtu.be/PqbS6BLfJpo
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

So sorry to hear about this... I know you guys were close. My sincere condolences to you Mike, his family, friends and devotees of the Stick.
The Stick is truly an amazing instrument...a one-off type of instrument conceived by someone who themselves was most likely a one-off. Mike directed me to some YouTube links about the Stick, and I was totally blown away.

Here's to Emmett Chapman - a man alone on a mountaintop, IMHO.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

That's a shame. I've enjoyed listening to people play the Chapman Stick in various ensembles over the years. My condolences to his family and friends.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Brilliant is exactly what it is. Chapman not only created a marvelous instrument but had the vision and talent to master it and inspire thousands of followers. RIP Emmett Chapman.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

RIP to a great visionary and musician.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Thanks for posting.
It’s good for musicians to acknowledge the passing of a genius, especially one that takes an instrument where it’s never gone before, or invents one that takes music where it's never been. RIP Emmett Chapman.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Sad news about a real creative innovator. Condolences to you, Mike, on losing your pal.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Prayers for the Family and Friends
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Awwww, a true innovator. Tap on.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Chance Wilson

Post by Chance Wilson »

My Pa was a street performer and there was another dude out there that played stick. When I was young, I spent many a chilly year on the streets warming myself by the fire of his music that wouldn't have been possible if Chapman hadn't had dreamed and luthiered that thing into reality. Here's some music for Resting in Peace. RIP Chapman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9feMF-F5Tg
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

This guy is pretty great and is one of a handful of real virtuosos on the Stick. He flew out from the East Coast to play at Emmett's funeral last Friday here in LA.

https://youtu.be/RCXjEIQANes