Tuning problems w/ Jackson Maverick HD

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Donny Hinson wrote:And now, you know...why so many of us simply prefer an all-pull guitar. :mrgreen:
:D yep, kind of ironic that many "starter" guitars are among the most confusing for a beginner to tweak.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Ron Hall

Post by Ron Hall »

Thanks, Ian. While I'm sure what you suggested makes perfect sense to you, with my level of knowledge and experience, I would probably make it worse if I attempted to mess around with it.

I did finally hear back from Dawn @ Jackson and she's sending me a video that supposedly addresses my very problem. Failing that, I may have to send it to Jackson to fix as I don't know of anyone within a reasonable driving distance from me who could work on it.

As soon as I can sell a very nice Collings guitar, I'm upgrading my PSG. The Maverick ain't bad but I'm not crazy about this design. Learning to play the thing is difficult enough! I don't need another challenge.
Ron Hall

Post by Ron Hall »

For those interested, here's a video that Dawn at Jackson sent me that does indeed cover my issue but is still over my head: https://youtu.be/V52h4BVeuU0. I just don't feel comfortable messing around with it as I'd probably make it worse.

Also, forgot to mention (since I haven't been using the RR (D#>C#) lever is that it doesn't have a nylon nut like the others. It's set back and capped off with a small hex nut which can't be adjusted with the tuning wrench. Doesn't appear to be tunable?

Dawn Jackson

Maverick Tuning Issues

Post by Dawn Jackson »

Hi all.
After reading through this thread, I wanted to address the comments and explain the questions/concerns for future potential Maverick HD owners. Ron and I spoke Tuesday morning (I don't work weekends and was out of the office Mon.) We are a small, family business and do make best efforts to support our customers in a timely fashion. And we definitely make sure we resolve your issue, even if it means paying to bring the guitar back in to the shop. Thanks to those of you who have acknowledged such. Having said that, my apologies to Ron and a couple other early customers for not getting you proper documentation when you purchased your guitars...as this tuning issue could have been avoided. Totally my oversight.

Regarding the Maverick HD mechanism, it is a single lever all-pull system, as are all of our designs. The pulling mechanism is about as simple as you can get. We went back to the permanent design my grandfather, Shot, designed and made some slight modifications in efforts to improve on it.

When working on a new model, we do sell our prototypes and improve them based on feedback from novices, intermediate players, and pros. This is why some of the earlier Maverick HD guitars have different tuners and/or windows for the Lowers. Example from this thread: John Larson's guitar has 6-32 socket head screws for tuning the Lowers; Ron Hall's has hex tuners, although they are still in a separate tuning window from the Raises. The E to Eb and D# to C# lowers are all tuned the same, in the same window. We have since consolidated the tuning window to encompass all Raises and Lowers (all with nylon tuners), to eliminate confusion. We have made two videos that explain how to ensure proper tuning. The main tuning issues have arisen after changing the strings. The main reason for this is that the fingers had come out of alignment once the new strings were in place. This is very easily remedied, as shown in the videos.

So...there are two critical factors: 1. Make sure you use the recommended gauges on strings being pulled and 2. Ensure the pulling fingers are properly aligned, prior to starting the tuning process.

Here are the two links. Both videos basically say the same thing, one is just a bit messier than the other. So don't get offended at the finger in the camera at some point.

https://youtu.be/Ni9aTKZwxZo
https://youtu.be/V52h4BVeuU0

Yes, we have different model guitars with different pulling mechanisms. Each new model is a result of my dad (David) and Uncle Harry's efforts to improve upon and simplify an instrument our family has played a critical role in creating and continuing to promote. We take great pride in this heritage and both of these guys, in their late 70's, spend six days a week in their shops, still trying to build a better string puller. We have acquired more than a dozen patents in this field and are still applying for more. The super pro mechanism, one of the first patents David acquired, is still the most replicated mechanism in the industry. I'm proud of the innovations we have come up with and one thing is definitely consistent about our guitars: they still have that amazing Sho-Bud tone that so many players desire and they are a pleasure to play.

Our main objectives with each model, in this order, are: Tone, playability and aesthetics.

If anyone still has questions on how to tune the Maverick HD after watching these videos (or any of our guitars), feel free to call me at 310-387-4431 or my dad, David, at 706-867-7442. Again, I don't work weekends and sometimes it may take me a minute to get back to you. I travel quite a bit and do not always have access to emails or phone service. If I don't return your call, call me again. David is in his shop Mon-Sat.

Thanks,
Dawn Jackson
dawn@jacksonsteelguitar.com
Dawn Jackson
310-387-4431
Andy Vance

Post by Andy Vance »

And that is the customer service I have experienced with Jackson every time I have had any issues and contacted them! Awesome stuff!
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Ron, I’m sending you a PM. I am near Stuart, not that far from Vero, and am willing to try helping you with this problem.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

The misinformation provided as facts in this thread is mind boggling. I’m glad Dawn chimed in!
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Good job Dawn and David!

I'm nearly certain that the Jackson family has built more steel guitars than anyone alive today.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Marc Jenkins wrote:The misinformation provided as facts in this thread is mind boggling. I’m glad Dawn chimed in!
Please be more specific. You've cast aspersions over an entire two page thread here. I don't see the misinformation that you're mind is boggled over, I do see a lot of folks sharing their knowledge to try and help the OP resolve the issue he asked about.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Ron Hall

Post by Ron Hall »

Thanks Dawn. I was going to post an update but you beat me to it and did a much better job than I could have. And thanks again for helping me resolve my issue!

Also, I didn’t mean to open the proverbial can of worms here with my post that apparently caused so much confusion. I was simply confused as to why the information I got from Jackson’s website didn’t match my guitar. Now it all makes sense!
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Good to hear you've got it sorted Ron, happy pickin!
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Some of the posts are folks speaking as if they know about the guitar, and are just in fact guessing. Which can’t be helpful - clearly not a pull-release for example! I just can’t see how that is helpful.

Didn’t mean to imply that every post was as such.
Ian Worley wrote:
Marc Jenkins wrote:The misinformation provided as facts in this thread is mind boggling. I’m glad Dawn chimed in!
Please be more specific. You've cast aspersions over an entire two page thread here. I don't see the misinformation that you're mind is boggled over, I do see a lot of folks sharing their knowledge to try and help the OP resolve the issue he asked about.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Marc Jenkins wrote:...clearly not a pull-release for example! ...
In common steel guitar terminology dating back to '40s or '50s, this actually is a "pull-release" mechanism, no disrespect to Dawn who did call it an all-pull system in her post. That's fine, there is no official steel guitar dictionary and folks can use whatever terminology they want, but the more common term for this type of mechanism is still pull-release. It's the same system Doug Earnest uses on his Stage One guitars, very similar to the GFI SM and lots of others through the years, including the original Sho-Bud Maverick. This new mechanism is highly refined from the old Maverick, much more precise and stable, but it is still pull-release in common steel guitar parlance - raises are achieved pulling a one-piece finger, lowers by releasing it against the tension of a spring. Raises are dominant, slack is required for lowers. Pull-Release.

Again, no disrespect to Dawn and her family's illustrious steel guitar legacy. I had good close-up look at one of the new Mavericks and a conversation with Harry about it a couple of years ago in Dallas, it's a very well-made instrument.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Bingo! What Ian said. ;-)

Maybe we should do a steel dictionary?

Nah, on second thought ..
:aside:
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Well I stand corrected there, took Dawn at her word. I was finding this thread pretty guess-heavy, and was concerned that the tone was helping to push the original poster away from his guitar, which many players love.
Ian Worley wrote:
Marc Jenkins wrote:...clearly not a pull-release for example! ...
In common steel guitar terminology dating back to '40s or '50s, this actually is a "pull-release" mechanism, no disrespect to Dawn who did call it an all-pull system in her post. That's fine, there is no official steel guitar dictionary and folks can use whatever terminology they want, but the more common term for this type of mechanism is still pull-release. It's the same system Doug Earnest uses on his Stage One guitars, very similar to the GFI SM and lots of others through the years, including the original Sho-Bud Maverick. This new mechanism is highly refined from the old Maverick, much more precise and stable, but it is still pull-release in common steel guitar parlance - raises are achieved pulling a one-piece finger, lowers by releasing it against the tension of a spring. Raises are dominant, slack is required for lowers. Pull-Release.

Again, no disrespect to Dawn and her family's illustrious steel guitar legacy. I had good close-up look at one of the new Mavericks and a conversation with Harry about it a couple of years ago in Dallas, it's a very well-made instrument.
Dawn Jackson

Maverick Tuning Issues

Post by Dawn Jackson »

As Ian indicated..and one of Dad's favorites..."you can call it what you want". I understand the reasoning for referring to it as a pull/release, but do maintain its still an all-pull system. We are pulling a spring to release a lower...the other "all pull" mechanisms do the same thing. The springs are just in a different location. Nonetheless, I'm happy to relate using industry terminology that is best understood. Regardless, the single lever system is super simple.

For those who have a Maverick or SlideKing pedal steel (they now use the same system), if the fingers do come out of alignment, the most likely fix is that the springs simply need adjusting. You might also try lubricating the points of pivot.

I'm including an image which illustrates how the Maverick HD mechanism works. We will continue to provide more documentation to address questions that arise with any of our mechanisms. So feel free to ask!

Dawn Jackson
310-387-4431