Don Blood Armrest

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Mizell

Don Blood Armrest

Post by Ken Mizell »

Giving some props to Don Blood and his Armrest product. This past weekend I received mine and I am very pleased with it. These armrests are very well made, very sturdy, good looking, and mount very easily and securely. They have room for adjustments. Don even provides the correct size Allen wrench needed to attach or detach the armrest. It is very comfortable, and gives support just like an SD-10. My last two steels (a Sho-Bud, and then a Mullen) were SD-10's, and when I got this GFI S-10, I missed the armrest and support immediately. That's fixed now.

I got a black covered one, 3" wide, for a GFI S-10 Expo. They are available in wider versions too.

If you get one of these for a GFI, note that the bottom of the right (changer end) end plate is longer due to the area where the return springs are mounted. That means that the mounting bracket on the changer end will be about 3/8" lower on the leg than the one on the key end. However, you can mount the bracket on the key head end 3/8" below the end plate to make it level. If desired, you can use some shims to make the pad higher on the changer end (or both ends) if needed. It's an easy fix, if you want the pad a little higher. I used 2 3/4" pieces of an old wooden yard stick with 5/16" holes drilled in them 1 1/2" apart. That worked well. You will probably want to use longer machine screws if you use shims. I used 1/4 20 - 1 1/2" stainless steel machine screws. The OEM screws are 1/4 20 - 1".

Last edited by Ken Mizell on 9 Sep 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steeless.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Looking good Ken. I put that same armrest on my Stage one steel. Works perfectly and as stated a quality product. Don does great work.
John Goux

Post by John Goux »

I have one on a S12 and I’m very happy with it. It does add a few lbs to the rig.
John