Tuning an Emmons Le Grande

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ted Kyte

Tuning an Emmons Le Grande

Post by Ted Kyte »

I am buffaloed trying to find out how to tune all the pedals and knee levers.
Can anyone tell me how to do this and explain the allan screws and the hex nuts on the end of the guitar?
I have the tool for the hex nuts and an allan wrench for the top ones but no idea what to do properly.
Also on the Suggested Emmons copedent, on string 2 (D# RKR) it has 2 settings (D / C#) what does that mean.
I thank you in advance for your advice it never fails on this forum...:)

Ted
Emmons LeGrande II Pedal Steel - Brisco Bud Pedal Steel - Mustang GT200 Amp - Peavey Session 115 Amp - Fender Twin Reverb Amp - Gretsch 7700 Guitar - Asher Custom Lap Steel- 2 Paul Beard Resonators - Gretsch Lap Steel
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Ted, just google "how to tune a pedal steel guitar" you will get lots of links that will explain it.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Email sent.
Ted Kyte

Post by Ted Kyte »

Bill Moore wrote:Ted, just google "how to tune a pedal steel guitar" you will get lots of links that will explain it.
Hi Bill....

I did that but nothing comes up with all the setscrews and hex nuts I have...

Ted
Emmons LeGrande II Pedal Steel - Brisco Bud Pedal Steel - Mustang GT200 Amp - Peavey Session 115 Amp - Fender Twin Reverb Amp - Gretsch 7700 Guitar - Asher Custom Lap Steel- 2 Paul Beard Resonators - Gretsch Lap Steel
John Palumbo

Post by John Palumbo »

Here is a youtube vid from Mickey Adams that may help you with the (allan)split screws. It looks a little tough to me but may be of help to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BWRBvau4ms
Anthony Parish

Post by Anthony Parish »

Ted, those allen screws are used to fine-tune the strings that are simultaneously raised and lowered (the "splits"). Lots and lots of guitars don't have those screws. You may want to start by backing them out so they have no effect on the tuning. Then just use the tuning nuts below to tune the guitar. That'll get you 95% of the way there. Then, when you get the hang of it, move on to Mickey Adams' video that discusses the allen screws. Best of luck!
Tony
Ted Kyte

Post by Ted Kyte »

John Palumbo wrote:Here is a youtube vid from Mickey Adams that may help you with the (allan)split screws. It looks a little tough to me but may be of help to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BWRBvau4ms
Thanks John...
Huge help answers all my questions....and creates more of course...:)
Ted
Ted Kyte

Post by Ted Kyte »

Anthony Parish wrote:Ted, those allen screws are used to fine-tune the strings that are simultaneously raised and lowered (the "splits"). Lots and lots of guitars don't have those screws. You may want to start by backing them out so they have no effect on the tuning. Then just use the tuning nuts below to tune the guitar. That'll get you 95% of the way there. Then, when you get the hang of it, move on to Mickey Adams' video that discusses the allen screws. Best of luck!
Tony
Thanks Anthony....
I left the allen screws alone as some were engaged and some weren't.
The video is excellent.
I had the hex nuts figured out to some degree but the video is excellent.
Thanks again...
Ted
Ted Kyte

Post by Ted Kyte »

Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

That row of allen screws on the back of the changer are adjustable stops for the low note using the split tuning. Split Tuning makes this guitar a completely different guitar than a standard. Put split tuning in Google. There is a site I believe Mickey Adams instructs on the split tuning.
I have a friend who got a split tuning guitar. He had problems with the tuning, But once he got it set up, He can get licks that I can not duplicate.
Ted Kyte

Post by Ted Kyte »

Bobby D. Jones wrote:That row of allen screws on the back of the changer are adjustable stops for the low note using the split tuning. Split Tuning makes this guitar a completely different guitar than a standard. Put split tuning in Google. There is a site I believe Mickey Adams instructs on the split tuning.
I have a friend who got a split tuning guitar. He had problems with the tuning, But once he got it set up, He can get licks that I can not duplicate.
Oh wow...that’s cool...
Definitely interesting...
Thanks Bobby...

Ted
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

Ted Kyte

Post by Ted Kyte »

Norman Evans wrote:Image
\
Thanks Norman...excellent overview.

Ted