Anybody Remember Dickie Harris , with E.T. ??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Eddie Cunningham

Anybody Remember Dickie Harris , with E.T. ??

Post by Eddie Cunningham »

Dickie Harris played steel , a 3 or 4 neck Fender , for Ernest Tubb from 1950 thru 1956 . Then he disappeared and Buddy Emmons took over in 1957 or 58 . I spoke with him briefly at the E T Record Shop nite time show in the summer of 1951 and I often wondered what happened to him ?? Any of you older Nashville or Texas guys know what happened to Dickie ?? He played well but used no pedals . Eddie "C"
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Yessir, loved his sound! Ernest didn't give him many solos, but his backups were a vital part of
Ernest's sound. Notice when Buddy came into the band, he quoted a lot of Dickie's signature licks.
Makes me think Buddy appreciated him, too.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Oh yes! Dickie worked w/Tubb from 1950-1956 (replacing Billy Robinson), so he probably did more recording with Ernest than any other steeler except Buddy Charleton. Butterball (Tommy) Paige, another old Troubador, used to live nearby, and told me several humorous stories about playing with Ernest back in the '40s. Unfortunately, they can't be retold on a public forum! :mrgreen:
Mark Norton

Post by Mark Norton »

Unfortunately, we lost Dickie Harris in 2016 and his wife Joyce this year. I purchased a few things at the recent estate sale along with this photo of Dickie - wanted to share with other steel guitar players. Mark
Bill Fisher

Post by Bill Fisher »

Never seen so many left handers (ha, ha). Turn the photo over.

Bill
Mark Norton

Post by Mark Norton »

Yes - the photo is backward. Dickie was into photography and had a full darkroom in his basement. I suspect he made this print and mistakenly had the negative in backwards.
Floyd Lowery

Post by Floyd Lowery »

I was wondering if Dickey Harris and Bootsey Harris who played with Curley Williams and the Georgia Peach Pickers are the same person ?
Carter 12 string 4petals 5knees, Mullen G2 3 petals 4 knees
Alesis QuadraVerb, Goodrich Match-Bro II
Peavy Nashville 400 & Session 500
Mark Norton

Post by Mark Norton »

I don't think so - I knew Dickie for over 30 years and never heard him mention the name Bootsey, Curley Williams, or Georgia Peach pickers. Dickie was raised in south Nashville
Floyd Lowery

Post by Floyd Lowery »

Thank you Mark. Bootsey was from Mississippi I'm pretty sure.
Carter 12 string 4petals 5knees, Mullen G2 3 petals 4 knees
Alesis QuadraVerb, Goodrich Match-Bro II
Peavy Nashville 400 & Session 500
Daniel Baston

Post by Daniel Baston »

This clip has a great solo played by Dickie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQpfQ8T1Cag
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Nice! I heard some Speedy in his playing.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Chris Scruggs

Post by Chris Scruggs »

I did not have the privilege of personally knowing Dickie, but I did own his three neck Fender Custom for a number of years after he passed. It was an honor to possess it for a while, but I hardly ever need a triple neck so I didn’t use it much.

A few weeks back I sold it to a young Nashville area non-pedal steel player named Eddie Rutland. He is turning out to be a really great player and genuinely loves the old stuff of that era.

What really sealed the deal for me was the fact that he plays in a band where the lead singer owns and wears one of Dickie’s Nudie “Texas Troubadour” band uniforms from that same era! I’m glad to know that guitar and suit will be onstage together again, only with different people!

~Chris Scruggs~
Mark Norton

Post by Mark Norton »

Photo flipped to proper side
Bill Fisher

Post by Bill Fisher »

Thanks for the flip.

Bill