Mounting Car Nameplates to Pedal Steels?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mitch Ellis

Post by Mitch Ellis »

Dave Mudgett wrote: Should have bought a Duster with a 318 or 360, it was the last year for the model. I have no interest in being dragged into the 21st century, with respect to that kind of stuff. Definitely nothing Goth. /quote]

Same here. And I have a 1971 Dodge Demon with a 318. I started driving it when I was around 10 or 12 years old. I'm 52 now and still enjoying driving it. I drove it when I was in high school and Me and my wife would go on our dates in it. A ton of stories and memories with that car. I'm sorry for the high-jack.

Mitch
Pat Moore

Post by Pat Moore »

Hi John,
Today, I just saw on tv a double sided tape that holds excellent, but can also be removed. Check it out!

https://tryalientape.com

Good luck with your great idea!
Pat
Chris Sattler

Post by Chris Sattler »

I would think 3D printing would be the way to go with steel logos
Charley Bond

Auto Badges on a Steel Guitar

Post by Charley Bond »

This Copper Sierra is my last Steel.. somebody else will sell it.

Didn't make any difference to me, where the nice badge (24K plated) came from, it instantly looked better than a cheap decal from the factory.

The white Sierra was my UNI 12 in 2000

Last edited by Charley Bond on 16 Apr 2021 6:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Steel Guitar players are members of a Special Family
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Very nice, Charley. How did you affix the nameplates to the guitar?
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Charley Bond

Ho W I afiixed my Name Plates

Post by Charley Bond »

with QUALITY sticky 3M Double Sided Tape. Sometimes you have to use an Exacto Knife to trim between the letters, so leave the backing on until that operation is complete.
Charley Bond

Absolutely...!

Post by Charley Bond »

Chris Sattler wrote:I would think 3D printing would be the way to go with steel logos
3D Printing would give one lots of options on the final product, great idea...
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

3D-printed logos could also be chrome plated or gold plated (please don't) after extensive sanding and polishing. I have seen some chemical kits for home use that produce good enough results – if painting them silver or chrome-effect isn't enough.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

John.Ahh yes. The Weinermobile. That brings back memories. 😅
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Are they putting 'Edsel' emblems
on these Bentley steels yet . . ?
Tommy Auldridge

Funny Story

Post by Tommy Auldridge »

Once I put an emblem on the front of my S-10 as a joke. It came from the back of a Honda Accord and it said 5 speed. A young girl came to my house who was interested in learning. She saw it and said WOW! IT'S A 5 SPEED! HAA O.M.G. Tommy.....
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Just for fun, why not try an "Automatic" badge, as found on many European cars of the 70s and 80s... or "injection" when playing psychedelic stuff. :D
Mike McBride

Post by Mike McBride »

I have a McBride Autos plate from some dealership. I might try this!
Ron Shalita

Post by Ron Shalita »

Double sided tape but don’t do it if it’s lacquer
Been playing all of my life, Lead Guitar, and Pedal Steel, sing Lead and Harmony.. play other Instruments also but I hate to admit to it..
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Next time you see a Cadillac, look real close and see if you can find the name "Cadillac" anywhere on the outside of the vehicle! :lol:

Cadillac stopped putting their name on the outside of their cars a couple of decades ago. The idea behind that was simple and elegant - the style and design should tell you the brand of the car; you should not have to read a nameplate to tell what it is.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

I missed this thread in April but I think Clarence White was the first to put an automobile emblem on his instrument, now owned and played by Marty Stuart. there are a whole legion of b-bender players and Clarence disciples who've built their own replicas in honor of Clarence.

I made my own tribute to Clarence but took some personal liberties with it

as for steel, I've thought about taking it even further and mounting headlights on the front and possibly wheels and a motor! it would save a lot of setup and gear-hauling if you could just drive your steel to the show :lol:
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

John McClung wrote: Erv Niehaus: Raymond Loewy was the designer. He did the Coca Cola bottle, and some famous logos. Such a beautiful car the Avanti!

!
Steel guitar has it's own logo designers. Billy Robinson designed the Sho-Bud font. And Winnie Winston created the original long neck Brut aftershave bottle design.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

While we are at it…how about adding a Speedo so everyone one can see how fast you are playing?

just a thought.. a couple of rare earth magnets on the inside of the front panel would hold a steel car logo. Won’t have ruined the finish when you finally sell the guitar.
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Very few car emblems are made of steel. If they are not plastic, they are usually made of some cheap zink alloy. So magnets would not work.
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

Per Berner wrote:Very few car emblems are made of steel. If they are not plastic, they are usually made of some cheap zink alloy. So magnets would not work.
But the emblems of worth probably are
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Nope, steel or iron would be extremely rare – if you could find it at all. Zink alloy castings go waaaaay back. Also used for door and trynk handles, hood ornaments etc, since before WW2. A light, cheap and brittle material that was gradually replaced by chrome plated plastics by the seventies/eighties.
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

Per Berner wrote:Nope, steel or iron would be extremely rare – if you could find it at all. Zink alloy castings go waaaaay back. Also used for door and trynk handles, hood ornaments etc, since before WW2. A light, cheap and brittle material that was gradually replaced by chrome plated plastics by the seventies/eighties.
Blows that idea out then
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

The best logo by far!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------