Switched to Equal Temperament

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Greg Lambert

Switched to Equal Temperament

Post by Greg Lambert »

Now my 3rds sounds off when A&B are pressed when I play with no backing tracks ... But with backing tracks Im right on .... What gives ???
Jon Voth

Post by Jon Voth »

They are off, you can notice it when you play alone. But with other music you are right with the rest that is equally tempered and you get used to it. Could that be it?
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

That's why I like splitting the difference and tuning 3 and 6, and the A pedal 10 cents flat. I can live with that.
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Jon's explanation is good, as is Ron's remedy.

All tuning systems are the same: either ET with the thirds flattened or JI with them sharpened.

It is only the method of arriving there that varies.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Ian Rae wrote: All tuning systems are the same: either ET with the thirds flattened or JI with them sharpened.

It is only the method of arriving there that varies.
Except that I tune JI, and don't sharpen or flatten anything. I make appropriate adjustments with the bar and attempt to maintain JI when the pedals or levers are used. Of course, with C6th, that doesn't work as well because most majors are expanded, and the emphasis isn't on just major and seventh chords. When you veer off of just major and seventh chords, the beats aren't as objectionable for some reason. To my ear, the minor, sixth, ninth, diminished, and augmented chords seem to tolerate (conceal?) the beats a lot better.

Regardless of the way you tune, the goal is always to try to sound pleasing and in-tune with the rest of the music. It's what you sound like when you're playing (and not how the guitar is tuned) that's important.