DI suggestions

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pete McAvity

DI suggestions

Post by Pete McAvity »

I’m sure it’s been discussed to death, but wanna get fresh takes in DI boxes for use in recording & performance w/ steel & bass. Active? Passive? Switchable? Was happy w/ a Radial J48 used between a Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster & Ampeg 610 cab for a performance recently- liked the active interface w/ passive p bass pickups.

Who likes what what & why?
Excel Superb D10, Kline U12, Sarno Black Box, Goodrich L120, Boss DD5, Baby Bloomer, 1965 Super Reverb chopped to a head, feeding a mystery PA cab w/ a K130.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

When my home recording studio was active, I had cheap DI's, a couple active/passive and a passive Radial Pro Dual DI. What I was doing I didn't hear any sonic difference between the passive DI's. I sold off most of my recording studio items but kept the Radial Pro Dual DI in case I ever need one (or two). The actives I had (inexpensive ones) were tried but didn't do anything and the ones I had I just used them in the passive mode.

I suppose there are differences but what I used there were no apparent differences in recorded sound.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

I use Countryman.
ajm

Post by ajm »

Important: There is a difference between using a DI for instrument levels (between guitar and amp), versus one that is placed between an amp and speaker.

From the original post it sounds like you want the latter.

You need to be specific about what you want, and get the right type.

I have no experience with instrument level types.

Speaker level: I have used both a Palmer PDI09 and Friedman MicNoMo. Both work well.
Pete McAvity

Post by Pete McAvity »

Thanks ajm. Yes- looking to get the signal from the amp to the board as well as the cab. The J48 does this & I believe the Countryman does too.
Excel Superb D10, Kline U12, Sarno Black Box, Goodrich L120, Boss DD5, Baby Bloomer, 1965 Super Reverb chopped to a head, feeding a mystery PA cab w/ a K130.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"
David Spires

Post by David Spires »

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... direct-box

Telefunken Passive DI. Awesome. I actually use the stereo one. Just sounds great!

David Spires
2021 MSA Legend XL 10&7; Asher Electro-Hawaiian Junior Lap Steel; '79 OMI Dobro 66 w/ Scheerhorn cone and setup; '64 Hand-wired Re-issue Fender Princeton Reverb