Texas musicians??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Flores

Texas musicians??

Post by Bill Flores »

I found this list in box that I got from the wife of the late Eddie Turner, Shreveport native and on staff at Louisiana Hayride in younger years, don't know the time frame of these numbers,I notice there is no area code , so it may be a greater metro area ? Ed moved to So.Cal. in 70s I believe, so there must predate that time.....thought I would post this and see if anyone remembers/recognize these players.
Thanks Bill FloresImage [/img]
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

I've been playing around Texas for 46 years and don't know any of them.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Mike Auman

Post by Mike Auman »

Chubby Wise (fiddle) was from Jacksonville FL, toured with Bill Monroe 1942-1948, then with Hank Snow 1954-1970, retired back to Florida in 1984. I didn't recognize anyone else.
Long-time guitar player now working on lap steel.
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Billy Byrd
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

Under the "STEEL" category--Buzz Summers. There was a Buzz Summers that approached me on a gig I was playing steel on when I lived in Houston between 1977 to 1987. We got together at his house--he played some good steel, said he was active in a band, but I never got to hear him on a gig.

Also, hand written names in the bottom/middle area--Loretta Turner. There was a local female singer by that name in Houston--I saw her sing with a band many times during the years I was there--can't remember the name of the band.

The other hand written name--Johnny Lee. Could it be the famous Johnny Lee? Maybe Johnny Lee is a real common name like John Smith--who knows?
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Mike Auman wrote:Chubby Wise (fiddle) was from Jacksonville FL, toured with Bill Monroe 1942-1948, then with Hank Snow 1954-1970, retired back to Florida in 1984. I didn't recognize anyone else.
That's the only name in there that rang a bell unless that's Billy Byrd mentioned above him.
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

I know some of them.

I'd guess the typewritten portion likely is no later than the mid 50s?, with the handwritten portions added later over time.

Danny Ross; made some excellent recordings circa 1956 in Houston and sporadically later on into the late 60s. Made several LPs in Houston in the 70s.

Go listen to his "Just Like The Farmer's Duck" or "You Can't Take It (But You Dish It Out)".

Travis Smith; fine steel player born in Telephone in east Texas in 1929, but in northern California by 1953 or 1954. Go listen to him wear out a Fender lap steel on Big Jim DeNoone's "Wild Strings". Deceased 2011.

Bill Blevins; recorded briefly in Jackson, Mississippi and Houston in the mid 50s.

Tommy Dover; made a small handful of records in Houston in the late 40s into the early 50s; some with Bob Dunn on steel.

Tony Sepolio was a highly regarded fiddle player for 50 years around Houston; recorded with Bob Dunn as far back as 1941 with The Sons Of Dixie.

Obit:

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituar ... io-5925216

Tony in 1952 with Jerry Jericho's band. Jericho center; Tony to Jericho's left in the white hat. Steeler Frank Juricek to Jericho's right.

Dave Edge made a few recordings in Houston in the early 60s.

Craig Chambers is in the Texas Western Swing Hall of Fame, but he may be too young to be on this list?
Last edited by Mitch Drumm on 29 Aug 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Flores

Post by Bill Flores »

I really don't know the exact timeline for this, as I said Ed came to California sometime in the 70's..this list is most likely prior to his move..this list could be from his time in Texas and possibly Louisiana...he was from Shreveport originally, then in the Air Force for a couple of years after Hayride
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

The only one I know is Craig Chambers, and he'd probably be around 75 or 76 nowadays. So maybe too young for this list.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Charlie Hansen

Post by Charlie Hansen »

I don't know much but what I know I know very well.
Carter S-10 3X5, Peavey Nashville 112, plus Regal dobro and too many other instruments to mention.
Bluegrass Island CFCY FM 95.1 Charlottetown, PE, Canada, on the web at cfcy.fm.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

That is the same Danny Ross that I referred to.

He was well known in Houston for at least 20 years. Passed away in the 1990s as far as I know. Quite a guitar picker as well as a vocalist.

That label (Minor) was operated by his brother Minor Ross and recorded very early efforts (1956/57) by Mickey Gilley and Claude Gray, when they were trying to get into the business.

It's not a rare name, so it is of course possible that the Danny Ross on that Houston-centric list is someone else, but I'd bet against it.
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Mike Auman wrote:Chubby Wise (fiddle) was from Jacksonville FL, toured with Bill Monroe 1942-1948, then with Hank Snow 1954-1970, retired back to Florida in 1984. I didn't recognize anyone else.
Chubby Wise is mentioned in the Grand Ole Opry song by Jimmy Martin . In fact growing up in Australia I had never heard of most of the people mentioned in that song but thanks to YouTube and google I have found most of them .
Gordon Borland

Thanks.

Post by Gordon Borland »

Just want to say thank you for posting this. Folks like you that take time to post things like this are appreciated.
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Noticed another name I know.

Earl Epps.

Active in Houston from circa 1956 on.

Played on the Alvin Opry for a long time, up to age 90.

Deceased last February at 91.

Mentioned occasionally on this forum.

Obit:

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituar ... s-10055414

Circa 1956:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd9zQCUB5YQ

Circa 1965:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSu4dqwcIA

Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

John Hawkins (penciled in) was a Steel Player from Onalaska, Texas
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Bill Flores

Texas musicians

Post by Bill Flores »

I wish I would have posted the list in 2009 when Ed Turner passed, most likely a lot of these players are no longer with us.
Ed got his big break from Shot Jackson for a gig with Webb Pierce in his teens....As a side note he told me he had an A6 type of tuning on one neck of his Howard guitar that he got E9 sounds before going to the standard E9.
Bill
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Thanks Charlie, Love those old recordings, great to keep that stuff alive!, and Bill thanks for posting, I keep all my old phone lists, they remind me of people from the past and bring up old memories.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days