Wheel came apart

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Gould

Wheel came apart

Post by John Gould »

I have a Hatton case that I have been using for a few years now and the wheel seem to be coming apart has anyone else had this happen? Is just the wheel part itself replaceable?
Thanks
A couple of guitars
Nashville 1000 Fender Mustang III Boss Katana MKII 50
Emmons LeGrande II and Sho Bud Pro II
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I have some at the shop- $18 shipped
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I just sold a pair of those wheel assemblies to a local steeler whose Hatton case wheels broke. He blamed dragging it across rough surfaces damaged them.

Take up Jim's price for a replacement as its less than what the steeler friend said Hatton wanted for replacement. I'd order two and replace them both.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Barry Coker

Post by Barry Coker »

Those wheels are the same as the ones used on In Line Skates you can pick them up at most any big sporting goods store I think they come in a four pack and may be clear instead of black replaced some on a case I had a few years ago.

Good luck
Barry
Zum-D-10, Webb 614-E, 65 Pro Reverb, Evans RE200, 69 Gibson Birdland, 89 Telecaster EAD Bad!!
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Mine came from the purchase of the Sierra parts inventory and fit in the SKB cases they had as well as some others.
Pat Moore

Post by Pat Moore »

I have a set of those on a case & a set of these on different case. Get a set of these & put them on your case. Easy install & much sturdier! You can find them at
pennelcomonline.com Not expensive either!
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

That has happened to some that I have had also. You can just peel the rest of the outer section off, and continue to use it that way for a while.
I ordered replacement units directly from SKB. It is not just the wheel. It is the wheel mounted in the plastic molding that is used to attach it to the case.
Had to drill a few new holes and it comes with a bag of nuts and bolts.
John Gould

Wheel came apart

Post by John Gould »

Thanks for all the replies , I think for now I'll just take the wheels off and use my cart to move the steel . When I get a few more Steel gigs I'll replace them .
A couple of guitars
Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Yes, those wheels will break eventually. I've replaced two. Here is another source:

https://us.tchweb.com/collections/caste ... nt-casters

Steve
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

I have a pair of Kevin's cases and the wheels were fine for many years. The problem is the way I treated them. My age increased and my ability to gently set the loaded case down decreased. I'm glad there are other sources for wheels but I know it's my fault that mine came apart.
John Gould

Ben Lawson

Post by John Gould »

I'm not blaming Kevin's quality of choice for the wheels I have pulled this case over several types of terrain over the period of time I've had the case. I've had the same thing happen to a suitcase before. I'm sure it's more my fault than anything I've just decided to get the wheels a break for now and use another method of moving the steel.
A couple of guitars
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

John I wasn't implying that there is a anything inferior with Kevins choice of wheels. It's just that I know I was rough on them. I pulled them up and down brick porch steps a little too often and one split apart. Until I got new wheels I used a two wheel folding cart but I like having a wheeled case. At 76, the replacement wheels will probably outlast me! Now its probably time for an SD10 and an amp that's about 35 lbs.
John Gould

Wheel came apart

Post by John Gould »

Well just cause I was already there buying pellets for my grill I thought I would check at Academy for inline skate wheels Like Barry Coker
said and much to my surprise they had some wheels that were virtually identical to what was on there. I even talked the girl working there to just sell me just one $6 plus tax.
Just in case anyone else needs to replace on a budget it's a 76mm diameter wheel 24mm wide with a 8mm axel bearing. I really thought I was going to have to wait to afford replacing the entire wheel assembly. I guess we will see if it holds up and lasts.
A couple of guitars