Reverb and Delay pedal?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Lester

Reverb and Delay pedal?

Post by Michael Lester »

I can't find the reverb I like using the stock Tone Master Twin built-in. I'm using a Boss DD-3 Delay right now along with minimal Fender reverb, but I'm still not getting the sound I want.

I'd like to find a single pedal that incorporates Reverb and Delay. I've done some initial searching without finding much until it crosses the very expensive threshold.

I could use some thoughts from others who may have come across a solution.

Thanks!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

As far as I'm concerned, you're better off with two separate pedals, one for delay and one for reverb.
I have a Boss RV-3 which is a combination pedal but I find the choices on it rather limited.
BTW,your DD-3 is a very good delay pedal.:D
Erv
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

From a recent forum post there are several of us using the NUX Atlantic Delay/Reverb combo pedal. I even saw a post on the Quilter Facebook page that Nashville steeler Mike Sweeney is using one.

CLICK
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Tal Herbsman

Post by Tal Herbsman »

Strymon El capistan
EarthQuaker devices avalanche run or dispatch master
Michael Lester

Reverb / Delay pedal

Post by Michael Lester »

Thanks for all of your feedback. I am taking notes...

Good to hear from you again Erv!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Michael,
My pleasure! :D
Erv
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

I'm using the Mooer Ocean Machine
Wide range of reverbs, plus TWO separate delays, plus a looper.
And it's full stereo in and out
It's my always on pedal
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Although many will consider it a tawdry, lower class relative from the wrong side of the tracks...the Zoom MS-50G gives you reverb, delay, and all kinds of other effects, and I found it to have little to no effect on tone, unlike some other pedals I used that are more sought after. If you are playing alone at home, or for recording, it might be a noticeable downgrade from some of the others mentioned here. But in a loud band stand setting, you probably won't hear much difference, and I assure you the audience (save a gear head or two who are focusing on nothing but you) won't either.
Mike Holder

Nux

Post by Mike Holder »

Jack Stoner has offered some great advice here. I went to watch Mike Sweeney play last night and it’s a pedal steel workshop in Emmons, Hughey Rugg etc. he is so consistently in control and precise in his musicianship and delivery!! It’s a pleasure to listen to him and inspiring to watch! He was using the NUX reverb/delay and it did not disappoint!… thanks Jack!
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

I agree with Erv Niehaus. Two pedals (in my experience) are significantly better than one for this. Right now I'm using a Maxon analog delay (for subtle slapback) and the Caitlinbread Talisman for reverb - I'm a big fan of Lexicon for a reverb that doesn't announce itself as reverb, but is warm and gives some space to your sound.

If course each of us has different preferences, but this is mine.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Tom Dillon

Post by Tom Dillon »

Source Audio Collider
Tom Dillon
- MSA Legend, On-Trak, fiddles, mandos
David Moore

Post by David Moore »

I'll second the Source Audio Collider because of its presets. Whether Collider or separate pedals work better for you just depends on how you use your pedals.

I used a Boss DD-8 and 2 different reverb pedals. I was perfectly happy with the sound, but I switched to the Collider and am happier.

I initially thought the Collider would be too hard to use if I wanted to adjust both delay and reverb. I think I was right, but the way I actually use delay and reverb is to find combos I like and only tweak them occasionally.

With the separate pedals, I was adjusting both pedals whenever I adjusted one. With Collider I have the presets I like and only occasionally make small adjustments on the fly. That works for me.

If you like to make multiple big adjustments on the fly, you might want separate pedals. If not, the Collider sounds fantastic and is easy to use.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:If you are playing alone at home, or for recording, it might be a noticeable downgrade from some of the others mentioned here. But in a loud band stand setting, you probably won't hear much difference, and I assure you the audience (save a gear head or two who are focusing on nothing but you) won't either.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... 9134e2244c
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Another Zoom MS-50G user here. I’ve got a set of favorites loaded that I can choose from quickly to get what the song needs. Four different reverb/delays, Leslie, mild overdrive, screaming overdrive, and a few others. As mention, no noticeable change in tone, and it’s a good bang for the buck.
Last edited by Roger Crawford on 8 Aug 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Roger Crawford wrote:Another Zoom MS-50G user here. I’ve got a set of favorites loaded that I can choose from quickly to get what the song needs. Four different reverb/delays, Leslie, mild overdrive, screaming overdrive, and a few others. As mention, no noticeable change in tone, and it’s a goos bang for the buck.

Agreed. Those are VERY impressive, what all they do and do well. Loaded with tons of famous, classic effects plus great reverbs and delays.

Brad
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

I'll second the Mooer Ocean Machine although it might be a little overkill depending on your needs. The Keeley Caverns might be better although the Ocean Machine is stereo in and out.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
John Palumbo

Post by John Palumbo »

I've been using the Keeley Caverns and like it, here is a review from Aaron (Steelpicking)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RoSx7uXvTM
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

NUX Atlantic user here . 2 n 1. Optional settings for both reverb and Delay. No disappointments .

Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

I have a EarthQuaker Dispatch Master and a very inexpensive Mooer Echo/Verb that has easy tap tempo.
Lexicon in the Telonics Rack.
Tap tempo is the way.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I’ve tried quite a few and am quite happy with the Keeley Caverns.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Steve Spitz

Keeley Delay Workstation

Post by Steve Spitz »

I’ve had luck with the Keeley Delay workstation. Multiple different reverbs and delays, all tweakable, and independent . You can isolate one at a time, ( reverb or delay ) to fine tune each on its own. Tap tempo as well. Really nice unit.
Cody Stewart

Post by Cody Stewart »

I’m another happy user of the NUX Atlantic. It’s almost as if it was designed for the pedal steeler.
Bolt On’s: Red Belly, Brown Belly, 73 Sho~Bud Pro~II, Fender’s/Peavey’s. If it doesn't sound like 1968, then I probably won’t like it.
Michael Lester

Reverb/Delay pedal

Post by Michael Lester »

Thank you for your comments.

After doing some research on-line based on a number of your posts, I've ordered a NUX Reverb/Delay pedal.

I'll let you know how things unfold...

Michael Lester
Steve Sycamore

Post by Steve Sycamore »

The Boss RV-500 is pricey but you get what you pay for there. Both dual reverbs and dual delays are included and fully independently configurable. If you create your own pre-sets the RV-500 is superb. I've never heard a pedal unit that comes anywhere close to its quality and ability to do so many different things. It will even give very expensive dedicated rack unit reverbs a run for their money.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Steve Sycamore wrote:The Boss RV-500 is pricey but you get what you pay for there. Both dual reverbs and dual delays are included and fully independently configurable. If you create your own pre-sets the RV-500 is superb. I've never heard a pedal unit that comes anywhere close to its quality and ability to do so many different things. It will even give very expensive dedicated rack unit reverbs a run for their money.

while what you say MAY be true, or maybe not, the RV 500 has a very large footprint as opposed to another dual pedal that will actually fit inside a small pedal board. And no, a smaller footprint pedal will not have a display.

Just another option apparently, smaller footprint vs larger footprint. :eek:
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website