Old Russ-ler legs! Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Munday

Post by Michael Munday »

Hi all! I'm really new to this world. I've bought an old Russ-ler (spelt like that), 12-string PSG. I love the sound of it - it's gorgeous. But the legs are locked tight (front) or knackered and fall apart (back). Clearly I need new legs, but I don't know what size to order (thread/plug size). Can anyone help? Here are a couple of pics. Thank you! Michael

Peter Harris

Post by Peter Harris »

Someone much more knowledgable than me will probably sort you out, but in case they don't, you could do worse than buying one of these....

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Thread-Pitc ... B004ROIU2A

...but since you've already got a mobile sample, I would be tempted to take it to a plumbing warehouse (or the like) and get them to match the thread....then at least you know what to specify.

HTH

Peter
If my wife is reading this, I don't have much stuff....really!
manny escobar

Post by manny escobar »

Being a clever machinist with precision eyeballs, it looks like a 3/4-10 INCH thread.
Peter Harris

Post by Peter Harris »

I neeeaarly said that, but I'm not such a clever machinist... :lol: ...and these daze my 73 year old eyeballs frequently deceive me when I need them most... :cry:
If my wife is reading this, I don't have much stuff....really!
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

There are some Russ-ler owners here so I expect you will eventually get a good and positive answer. Meanwhile, you can know that the modern 'standard' that will fit a large majority of steels is 1/2" x 13 thread so you can be certain that a standard leg will not work for you.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

I suggest you get in touch with Chuck Back at Desert Rose steels. He may know...
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Being "locked" is fine for the front legs as you don't normally adjust them anyway. If the rear leg problem is just that the inside tube is loose and they won't stay where you put them, new clutch parts can be purchased. Bear in mind that a new set of legs will set you back at least $150 (and very likely more).

The 3/4" x 10 was the size for the old Fender steel guitar legs, and was also the size used on the Fender-Rhodes electric pianos.
Michael Munday

Post by Michael Munday »

Many thanks to all who replied to my post! What a helpful bunch! I'm really impressed at this forum and the generosity of members!
I've now been in touch with Ron Bennett (now in Scotland) who thinks he can help on this. On the front legs issue I would need longer ones anyway as my (fleshandbone) legs are quite long! Is there a recommended height of front leg (average)? Cheers all!
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Slip Edwards is right - Chuck Back, Desert Rose Guitars in Tucson, AZ bought them out and has lots of parts.

I worked with him for a few years and have the old Russ-Ler pedals on my Desert Rose.
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

The late Harold Flynn bought the Russ-ler line years ago. I believe Fred Layman owned it for a while after Harold died. Lost track of it after that.
PRR