My steel is tricky to string - changing the bridge?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Kathy Freeman

My steel is tricky to string - changing the bridge?

Post by Kathy Freeman »

I have an ABM Sentinel 8 string steel (23 inch scale) which is great except for changing strings. You have to keep the string in place at the ball end as you wind which is challenging. I'd like to know

A)is it mechanically feasible to change the bridge for a more user-friendly one? I am not a purist about how it might look.

B) if so - long shot - do you know a good steel guitar maker/luthier in Germany, especially in the Berlin area who could order and install it?

Maybe someone here has some idea? Thanks.

Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

Try putting something like a golf tee in the hole to hold the string end in place.
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

It's a common problem on pedal steels.

You could take a pencil or a knitting needle or something (maybe even an acoustic guitar bridge pin) and stick it into the hole in the bridge to keep the ball end stuck down where it belongs while you tune up. Mainly, wedge something into the hole to keep the string ball in place.

Dave
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

Golf tee!

Dave
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

Another thing you might consider is having it converted to string through the body, like a Telecaster. It's hard to tell if this is feasible from the pictures, but maybe a skilled luthier could drill down through the existing anchor holes, and install ferrules like these in the back: https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardw ... rules.html
"it's not in bad taste, if it's funny." - john waters
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Very cool steel! Seems like a capo or masking tape would hold the ball ends in without string tension.

No idea about German builders bt for replacement bridges, you could ask georgeboards.com, Ryan Rukavina, Bill Hatcher, some other people on the forum.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=rukavina

https://www.georgeboards.com/parts.html#nuts
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Gene Tani wrote:Very cool steel! Seems like a capo or masking tape would hold the ball ends in without string tension.

No idea about German builders bt for replacement bridges, you could ask georgeboards.com, Ryan Rukavina, Bill Hatcher, some other people on the forum.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=rukavina

https://www.georgeboards.com/parts.html#nuts
I recently bought a beautifully machined aluminum bridge and nut from Ryan Rukavina. I’m very pleased with it. Came with wood screws and was very easy to install.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Cody Farwell

Post by Cody Farwell »

I use a couple spare banana plugs for this reason. They're very cheap, you might already have one!
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

WTH? is a banana plug?
Aloha
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
Peter Harris

Post by Peter Harris »

Tom Snook wrote:WTH? is a banana plug?
Aloha
It stops the juice running out of the banana....

...and co-incidentally is the same size as the plugs on the end of test leads on most multimeters...when you don't have a banana handy... :lol:
If my wife is reading this, I don't have much stuff....really!
Peter Harris

Post by Peter Harris »

If you don't have any golfing friends, I would go to any shop selling parts for acoustic guitars and get some (wooden) bridge pins..even if you had to whittle them down just a bit, that's got to be the easiest and cheapest way rather than taking your steel to bits...as David Ball said much earlier.

...just saying.... ;-)
Kathy Freeman

Post by Kathy Freeman »

Big thanks all for your suggestions and links. All the tips for holding ball end of string are better than the sad pair of tweezers I currently use, and will help while I check out a longterm solution.
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

[/quote]I recently bought a beautifully machined aluminum bridge and nut from Ryan Rukavina. I’m very pleased with it. Came with wood screws and was very easy to install.[/quote]

Ryan built this bridge for my '41 Epiphone. He does great work.
"it's not in bad taste, if it's funny." - john waters
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

I kind of like that bridge, certainly looks interesting. The adjustable intonation isn't useful but are those rollers?

I like John's suggestion of a luthier drilling holes and installing ferrules for string through body. The only trick with that, there doesn't look like there's much wood between where the holes would be and the edge of the body...but string-through might even improve sustain. At least that's what the folk wisdom says (I have no idea if it is true).
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Image Here is one I made that was pretty close to the edge of the wood. You would need a Luthier with a mill to do a nice job. If need be you can just mill the pocket "U" shaped and use the aluminium as the end of the body instead of fittin it all the way round like I did. Thought since the original post was from England, I'd do the spellin the way they do. :wink:
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Steven Pearce

Post by Steven Pearce »

Electrical tape every time. Set the ball into the bridge, tape, wind, and remove tape.
Works first time, every time.
Kathy Freeman

Post by Kathy Freeman »

John Rosett wrote:I recently bought a beautifully machined aluminum bridge and nut from Ryan Rukavina. I’m very pleased with it. Came with wood screws and was very easy to install.
thanks, will check him out.
Kathy Freeman

Post by Kathy Freeman »

Bill Groner wrote:Image Here is one I made that was pretty close to the edge of the wood. You would need a Luthier with a mill to do a nice job. If need be you can just mill the pocket "U" shaped and use the aluminium as the end of the body instead of fittin it all the way round like I did. Thought since the original post was from England, I'd do the spellin the way they do. :wink:
wow that IS close to the edge, but shows it's doable, thanks mate (that's what they say in the UK)
Kathy Freeman

Post by Kathy Freeman »

Nic Neufeld wrote:I kind of like that bridge, certainly looks interesting. The adjustable intonation isn't useful but are those rollers?

I like John's suggestion of a luthier drilling holes and installing ferrules for string through body. The only trick with that, there doesn't look like there's much wood between where the holes would be and the edge of the body...but string-through might even improve sustain. At least that's what the folk wisdom says (I have no idea if it is true).
the bridge is fixed, non adjustable. Which is one less thing to consider :)
Dennis Saydak

Post by Dennis Saydak »

Most Dobros have the same type ball end retainer. A piece of masking tape works for me. There's no need for you to change the bridge.
Dennis
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race, the rats get faster.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Wow that IS close to the edge, but shows it's doable, thanks mate (that's what they say in the UK)

Even closer.........cause it is the edge! I like to make my lap steels short and there isn't much real estate left when it comes to the bridge. My avatar picture is that lap steel with the string through aluminium plate. Funny thing, I sold it to a workmate of mine and he moved here from London.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Peter Harris

Post by Peter Harris »

You may (?) also find it easier to use one of these to take up the initial slack on the string when you install it.....

https://www.originalartisan.com/product ... der-black/

....the exercise generally goes a LOT more quickly ...I would not go as far as using the electric versions, but... :)
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

Why not try to cut a notch for each string?
Aloha
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

Why not try to cut notches in the bridge like a Fender Champ?
Aloha
Veit Doehler

Post by Veit Doehler »

I simply twist little plugs from the papper wrapping of the strings to keep the ball ends in place. Quick an easy.