Texas Case Manufacturing

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alan Pagliere

Texas Case Manufacturing

Post by Alan Pagliere »

Wondering if anyone has experienced this. I have a case for my 2002 MSA Millennium U-12. It was made by Texas Case Manufacturing which, it seems, is no longer in business.

The plastic wheels seem to have an inner part and an outer "casing" that contacts the ground. The outer part on one of the wheels has broken apart and has come off (on the right in the photo). The other wheel's outer part is in the process of splitting and will soon break off.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

Last edited by Alan Pagliere on 12 Jul 2021 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Happened to my Sierra Artist the first time I wheeled it across a parking lot.

I started carrying it on my hand truck just like the other gear.
Alan Pagliere

Post by Alan Pagliere »

Ugh. I suppose I should be happy that it lasted 19 years.

Still, it seems like there should be some solution....
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I'd say you got pretty good service if they lasted that long.

Those look like skate wheels. You can buy just the wheels from Ohio Travel Bag, Decathlon etc. online. You'd need to know diameter, width and axle mounting size of course cause there's a bunch of different ones....That's provided the axle is removable on yours.

Else, I'd probably try to match up the whole frame and wheel assemblies from penn elcom here
Alan Pagliere

Post by Alan Pagliere »

Jerry, thanks. The axle seem to be riveted. I suppose one could drill it out and put in a new axle....

Or your Penn Elcom link is interesting. This one https://www.pennelcomonline.com/us/Penn ... -5895.aspx in particular has a housing very much like the original one. It just doesn't wrap around the case's edge as much as the original one. And I'll have to see what the screws actually attach to. Two of the four look like machine screws and two don't.

I'll poke around some more. Thanks again!

Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Have you checked with Red Dirt Case?
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Found these on Amazon....same type of wheel...dunno about the wheel size or the housing...rated at 100#. Obviously not as sturdy as the Penn Elcoms but really reasonable cost.
clickhere
Allen Peterson

Post by Allen Peterson »

This happened on a suitcase I once owned. I solved the problem by giving it to my daughter. She still uses it with the small inner wheel.
2008 D10 Rains Pedal Steel, 2000 D10 Carter Pedal Steel, BR-9 Lap Steel, Nashville 400, Nashville 112, '65 Fender Twin Re-issue, MB 200, Telonics Volume Pedal
Roy Carroll

Post by Roy Carroll »

Here is the company that supplied those.
Reliable Hardware.
https://www.reliablehardware.com/tiltcasters.aspx
Just north of the Weird place, south of Georgetown
Alan Pagliere

Post by Alan Pagliere »

Solution.

I called Red Dirt Cases hoping they could lead me to wheel suppliers. Jen there was great! She referred me to TCH (tchweb.com). I called the Dallas office and talked to Clark.

They supplied the original manufacturer with wheels back when. On the phone, Clark looked up the original model number, we compared it to those available now, and he helped me pick the closest thing.

I just finished installing them. Took some small demolition work, expanding cutouts, new holes, new inserts and screws, and there you go. The case rolls like a charm.

Thanks for everyone's help. And from my end, do check out TCH's website. And talk to Clark. He's the man.