When did you start playing steel?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

In which decade did you start playing steel?

1930s
No votes
1940s
1%
1950s
3%
1960s
6%
1970s
30%
1980s
12%
1990s
8%
2000s
11%
2010s
20%
2020s
9%

Total votes: 383

b0b

When did you start playing steel?

Post by b0b »

The age of players is one thing, their experience is another. I thought it might be fun to poll members on when they actually put the bar to the strings.

I might have played a bit in the 1960s, but I don't remember that decade very well. I voted 1970s cause that's when I remember getting into it.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

A lot of people don't remember the 60s very well!
I also had trouble determining a start point.
I owned a partly-working instrument for years before I knuckled down. I could have said 1990 but 2013 is when I got serious and joined this forum, for which I'm ever thankful.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I started on lap steel in late 40's trying to copy Little Roy Wiggins. Started on pedals Oct 69.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I remember very clearly when I first played steel guitar. It was when I bought my first Santo & Johnny record (Teardrop). 1963 to be precise, and I was 14 years old. My father had a small music combo, and his guitarist also played lap steel. He had a spare lap steel for sale so I bought it. It wasn't long before I could play Sleepwalk on an E13 tuning. Unlike a lot of guys of my age in the UK, I remember the 60's very well, maybe because I steered clear of smoking substances. :roll: :roll:
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Late 1970 for me. 16 years old and a Junior in high school. I was a drummer that couldn't practice st home with the band. I took a cheap acoustic and a knife or something for a slide and played "dobro" at practice. A short time later, my brother bought me a triple 8 National from a local music store for $75. It's been dowhill ever since. 😋
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I clicked '80s when I bought my first PSG but it did not occur to me that I could have clicked 70's for the pencil under the strings of my import flat top dobro explorations after hearing the 'Will The Circle' album in 1972. For real, it counts.
Dan Kelly

Post by Dan Kelly »

Ever since I was a toddler, and listening to Country Music on my father's car radio, I knew, deep down, I had to play the PSG. However, I got side tracked in the acoustic world for a few decades. In 2014, I saw David Hartley on YouTube. After realizing, so late in life, that I was born to play PSG I jumped in with both feet.

<b>Wait a minute... 1930's?????</b> :-)
Last edited by Dan Kelly on 6 Jul 2021 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
blah, blah, blah.
Hey You Kids! Get Off My Lawn!
blah, blah, blah.
Joe Krumel

putting bar to strings.

Post by Joe Krumel »

Appx. mid 80's for me. Always had an ear for steel bends and twang despite my Rock drumming days from the 60's.....
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Early 1970s, thanks to Buddy Cage.
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Larry Ball

Never To Late

Post by Larry Ball »

I started playing six string as a teenie bopper in the 50’s,,,listening to the fabulous “Ventures” . Rock and Roll then later years Country. That’s when I heard and also played many times on stage throughout the years with steel players. I always loved the sound of a steel, however for some reason never bought one. Then in my Golden Years I woke up one morning and decided to buy one. So I bought a new “Mullen” SD10 and I was hooked. I have never touched a six string since (and I have 15 of them). I practice ever day and was gigging twice a week until things shut down because of COVID. I am still hooked on this fantastic instrument head to toe.
Mullen SD10, Sho~Bud SD10 LDG, Show-Pro SD10 LDG, Peavey Nashville 112, Telonic's F100 Multi-Taper Super Pro V/P, too many other guitars, amps and effects to mention.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Early-'70s, thanks to JayDee, Rusty, Buddy Cage and the Big E.

As for 'remembering the '60s', I'd been a pro since '59. I saw at first hand how much trouble substance-abuse could get you (this was back when it was mainly the preserve of the jazz-world - it took hold in pop maybe '62, '63) so I found it easy to steer clear of all that.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Bob Womack

Post by Bob Womack »

I bought a Magnatone lap steel I found in the window of a pawn shop in 1974. It was horrible. I had a sleeve of 1974 S pennies. Like a dolt, I sealed them into a long Coricidin bottle with candle wax and it became my first bar.

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Bought my first steel, a Sho-Bud Maverick, in July of '73 a month after high-school graduation; I'd been a pedal-steel obsessed guitar player since about 1970 and finally took the plunge.

Two months later, on my 18th birthday and after a summer of playing constantly at home I sat in with the band at the local tavern in my small Maryland town and they hired me to join the band, playing every Friday and Saturday night. Within a year or so I was playing 5 nights a week at a much bigger place in the city (Washington D.C,) and I stayed with that gig for 3 years. I got very lucky early on having good situations to learn to play with older, seasoned musicians (back when there were a lot of gigs!).
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I remember the '60s and '70s quite well; just don't ask me about last week...

One cold winter afternoon in the late '70s I waltzed into Suneson Music Center on East Lake Street in Mpls with the intent of purchasing a set of strings for my Ovation Glen Campbell. Walked out with a brand-spankin' new black plastic-cladded Red Baron in a matching plastic case, a Sho-Bud tone bar, the Winnie Winston book, and signed up for lessons with the great Cal Hand.

Thousands upon thousands of dollars later, the rest is history. Roger Suneson (RIP) could have sold ice to Eskimos.
Jerry Jones

Post by Jerry Jones »

When I was living in Mississippi in 1974, I was mostly into 6-string guitars. But having heard the song "Red Neck Friend" by Jackson Browne, I became fascinated with the sound of David Lindley's lap steel. Being the guy who always likes to make things, I set out to build my own lap.

I saw an ad in Guitar Player Magazine for Pedal Steel Guitar Products (Tom Bradshaw) and, thinking this might be a great source for lap steel parts, I ordered Tom’s catalog. I didn't order any guitar parts from Tom but I did see the notice included with the catalog about the upcoming Scotty's Steel Guitar Convention.

I had never even seen a steel guitar at that point but that convention did sound interesting. So I flew to St. Louis in Sept 1974 and needless to say a whole new world opened up to me. That weekend I saw the best of the best from a world I had mostly been unaware of. Changed my life....thank you, Tom.

Ordered an MSA semi-classic from Scotty when I returned home.
Jerry Jones
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I’ve been a Fender Stringmaster owner since 1978, and actually played a gig on it (terribly badly awfully) around that time. But to say I’ve been a player since then would be an insult to both the instrument and all the great players of the world. Started on pedal steel for real about 5 years ago.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

1978 for me :-} ... I was already a working guitarist, so I at least knew what I was looking for hehe...
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

2001 to be exact. I was a lap steel owner but I couldn’t play it.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I had expected to see the wave of baby boomers in the 1970s, but the rise of new players in the 2010s surprised me. Very interesting. :mrgreen:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

A number of us 2010’ers are boomers whose left arm gave out on fretted instruments.
Gary Newcomb

Post by Gary Newcomb »

Good thread! I’m an oo’s bloomer though I had steel in the late 90’s but didn’t really play it.
Sierra Session U12, Milkman 1/2, Goodrich Omni, Divine Noise Cables, BJS, Solid cosmic gold, baby 👶🏻
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

April 1979 for me.
Floyd Lowery

Post by Floyd Lowery »

I started taking lessons around 1947 on a $10.00 round hole guitar with the strings raised. A few months later I was able to get an electric 6 string lap guitar, then a Gibson 6 string. After about a year I was playing on WVOK in Birmingham and bought a double neck Fender new. Stopped playing around 1955. Bought an 11 string MSA around 1969 and tried to learn how to put it together and tune it. :roll:
Carter 12 string 4petals 5knees, Mullen G2 3 petals 4 knees
Alesis QuadraVerb, Goodrich Match-Bro II
Peavy Nashville 400 & Session 500
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

Ken Pippus wrote:A number of us 2010’ers are boomers whose left arm gave out on fretted instruments.
That's exactly what happened to me.
I played acoustic guitar (finger picking) since about 1955.
Around 2015 or so I started losing my left hand strength and couldn't fret anymore.
I was aware of lap steel but never saw or played one.
I ordered the cheapest one I could find just to see if I liked it, a Rogue.
That was 8 guitars ago.
I have stuff.
I try to make music with it.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I started playing on my birthday in 1984. I was 40 years old. I wanted a steel because I heard Weldon on radio kick off Then and Only Then and wife bought it for me for my birthday. The sound so intrigued me that I thought, I’ve got to have one of those. I was already a guitar and fiddle player so knew chord structure which made it a little easier. In a month I was playing on stage and sounded like, well, really bad I’m sure. First guitar was a single neck BMI with 3 & 1.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.