Gary Cooper: player, or poser?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Russ Young

Gary Cooper: player, or poser?

Post by Russ Young »

I’ve come across a few pictures of actor Gary Cooper playing a variety of lapsteel guitars: a National tricone, a Dobro(?) and a “Hawaiian Teachers of Hollywood” student hollow neck. Does anyone know about his skill, or lack thereof, as a guitarist?

Mark Helm

Maybe?

Post by Mark Helm »

All I could find was some IMBD trivia that says the actor, "strummed guitar." My guess is he was a dabbler. He reportedly had a ton of hobbies and, with his busy filming schedule (never mind all the starlets he was, ummm, "entertaining)," I can't imagine he would have had the time to practice.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Russ Young

“Entertaining starlets …”

Post by Russ Young »

Absolutely, Mark! I’m going to use that as an excuse for not practicing more … 😉
Peter Harris

Post by Peter Harris »

..from the dog's expression in the first photo, I'd say he wasn't all that good at it...
If my wife is reading this, I don't have much stuff....really!
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Well, he is using finger picks. I think his left hand looks fairly correct and he is doing a bar slant in the lower picture. I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was a hobbyist steeler.