Nice sounding ZUM. Michael Rose

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Krumel

Nice sounding ZUM. Michael Rose

Post by Joe Krumel »

Love the sound of Mikes guitar. The band is awesome.
https://youtu.be/cy9cn5bjj7k
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Thats Michel Rose (not Michael) from Australia - he is a stunning player and top bloke :-}
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

My apologies to Michel for the name mistake. He sure makes that Zum sound sweet.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

really nice stuff
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Here's a better example of this band, really nice steel playing. Great lead guitar as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUxQFlhOfJU
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

Hi Per. Yeah,Stu French is one heck of a guitar picker for sure!
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

There's a Youtube video of them doing Blood Shot Eyes. Not quite as hard-swinging as AATW's superb version, but great playing there too with steel/lead duets.
Tomi Graso

Post by Tomi Graso »

Thanks Joe Krumel for posting, this is long overdue, Michel deserves a special spot in the steel guitar world, he is a great player and what Paddy Long said , a top bloke !
Chris Sattler

Post by Chris Sattler »

What Tomi said!!!!!! And I just can't resist posting another. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrW6yOyJ51M
Tomi Graso

Post by Tomi Graso »

Hey Chris ,
Good to see you on the Forum, yep that's a great tune,
good choice ! This really features Michel's work on C6. Michel has a very unique style of playing like none other. Not a copy cat ( like me ) but playing his own stuff and how he feels the music in his heart ! I hear him on the Radio and I know instantly it's Michel and it's Good !

Michel is not just a Great Steel Player but a great Jazz guitar player, plays piano as well as a great singer. Also a great Producer and a Recording Engineer. It's a complete musical package.

We met in his recording studio a couple of times, I would bring my steel along for a pick and it's not long before I gently put the bar down on my guitar and humbly continue listening to his expertise on both necks. I also get a music theory lesson at the same time and it makes it worth while for sure !

What about his performance at the Scotty's International Steel Guitar Convention in 2002 with his band The Ferals Swing Cats, a great performance followed by a standing ovation , nuf said ! We all had a great time that year,
Michel even arranged for all of us to meet the Legendary Tommy White backstage at the Grand Ole Opry. That was something to remember for the rest of my life.
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

Not to take away from the pedal steel content of this post, but Stuie French has a very talented family. If you like twin 6 string guitars & good traditional style country music, watch The French Family videos on YouTube. Stuie & his son Sonny can rip em up. It’s comes from their home in Nashville. I figure they started it as a place to play during the pandemic. Well worth your consideration.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Thanks Chris also, what a great clip, I love his playing and the Tele player as well. Michel is top notch!!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Here's a pic of Michel and myself doing our "Zum Twins" act up at the Norfolk Island Country Music festival where we were both working a couple of years back..... always wonderful to get to play with this amazing guy !!!

14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Chris Sattler

Post by Chris Sattler »

Yes... the tele player is , of course, Stuie French. He has moved his family to US and now calls Nashville home. The French Family can be found on facebook and Youtube and Stuie is also a part time TimeJumper when Andy cannot make it. He is very highly regarded.

Indeed check out The Feral Swing Katz on YouTube. BUT I would love to see Bill Ferguson put the tapes of the Feral Swing Kats playing live at Scotty's international Steel guitar convention here for all to enjoy. How about it Bill?