Gyatone pedal steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jimmy Gibson

Gyatone pedal steel

Post by Jimmy Gibson »

Has anyone had or seen a Gyatone 3 pedal steel guitar,I have recently been given one as a trade for a guitar,and I never knew that Gyatone made a pedal steel.But I was very surprised on just how nice this little steel played and sounds,So it would be great if I could find a bit of info ,it is in absolutely amazing condition for its age,also the case is in amazing condition.

Much appreciated for any help .

Cheers Jimmy.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Jimmy, I knew of them, but they are really rare, and I doubt many of us know that much about them..I have only seen them in pictures.

I thought they might be a cable set up instead of rods.. Is that correct?. Or is it more like a Maverick or similar?.. It almost looks kind of like a maverick. In any case, a very cool little guitar!
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Jimmy Gibson

Gyatone

Post by Jimmy Gibson »

Hi Bob ,great to hear from you again,and as you say this is indeed a very rare steel,and it does not use cables,it is al rods ,it’s a pull release system,plays very well and sounds pretty good.Not sure what sort of value this is worth,it is in absolute great original condition,as is the case also.

Thanks for your input Bob,and hope all is good your end.
Jeff Spencer

Post by Jeff Spencer »

One came up some years ago...still in its box with wrapping paper around legs etc. I have pics somewhere buried in my computer :cry: it was red too!
Steven Hicken Jr.

Post by Steven Hicken Jr. »

Hi Jimmy,

When you mentioned this on the BSS earlier I was desperately hoping this would be my dad's old guitar (or the same variant), that he traded in the early 80s for his Sho-Bud. I've been trying to track it down, can't imagine it has gone too far and should be unearthed someday. Probably underneath someone's bed. Unfortunately for me yours is slightly different cosmetically. Wonder if it is a later one with the different badge?

I'm not an expert on Guya's but they were produced in the 70s in Japan. They sounded lovely, as shown on the intro of the below video. Only limitation was the lack of knee-levers but they definitely had a unique tone. Kind of like a Hawaiian sound with pedals.

https://www.facebook.com/mally.hicken/v ... nref=story

I've seen a couple come up for sale in the UK recently and they've fetched respectable money in good condition, just not as much as say a single neck Sho-Bud or ZB of the era. Again, unfortunately for me no red, white inlay ones.

To my knowledge, they were all pull or pull release. Dad didn't mention cables.

25 year old wannabe.
2015 Show Pro
2020 Hudson Hudsonator (Pedabro)
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/
Jimmy Gibson

Gyatone

Post by Jimmy Gibson »

Hi Steven,the Gyatone Steel I have is all pull rods no cables,it’s a pull release system,and would be very easy to fit knee levers using springs to balance the changer fingers in a central position so they can be pulled and released.Thanks for your input very much appreciated..

Jimmy.
Jimmy Gibson

Gyatone

Post by Jimmy Gibson »

Just an update for anyone who may be interested,I have been informed that this vintage Gyatone pedal steel is as Steven said was made in the 70s,and that they are extremely rare,as I said the one I have is in amazing condition for the age,still plays and sounds awesome,I am in the process of putting a couple of knee levers on and setting it up as a C6th,Thanks so much to Steven Jeff and Bob for their help.

At the moment I am not thinking of selling but
I just wonder what something like this is worth.

Jimmy.