Gene Watson --One and One --Who played steel?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Miller

Gene Watson --One and One --Who played steel?

Post by Bill Miller »

I happened onto Gene Watson's 'One and One and One' recently. That's a song of Gene's I hadn't heard before and it's really beautiful. Does anyone know who the steel player was? I know Corky Owens played behind Gene a lot but did he record with him also?
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

Sounds like "The Big E" Buddy Emmons.
Bill Miller

Post by Bill Miller »

Yes it does John, the same thing occurred to me.
Dave Magram

Post by Dave Magram »

Yup, it's Mr. Emmons...

December 1991/February 1992 Reflections Studio, 2741 Larmon Drive, Nashville, TN – Gene Watson (Gene Watson [vcl], Leo Jackson [ac gt], Gregg Galbraith [ld gt], Steel Guitar: Buddy Emmons [steel], David Smith [bass], Lonnie Williams [drums], Rob Hajacos [fiddle], Hargus 'Pig' Robbins [piano], T.J. Clay [harmonica],Ronny Light, Jennifer O'Brien & Margie Cates [bck vcl])
222 ONE AND ONE AND ONE Broadland Int. 192

- Dave
Bill Miller

Post by Bill Miller »

Thanks for nailing that down Dave. I’m not at all surprised that it’s Buddy Emmons but I just never heard that he recorded with Gene Watson.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Bill Miller wrote:Thanks for nailing that down Dave. I’m not at all surprised that it’s Buddy Emmons but I just never heard that he recorded with Gene Watson.
Buddy is the only player listed on Gene's "From the Heart" album. Check it out. It's great.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

"The Gospel Side of Gene Watson" from 2004 is another one that Buddy played on; he's all over it and sounds fantastic (of course).
Bill Miller

Post by Bill Miller »

Buddy is the only player listed on Gene's "From the Heart" album. Check it out. It's great.
Richard, I just checked for that album on iTunes but it isn't there unfortunately. The Canadian version of iTunes has a scaled down selection of music. The album I did buy is the 22 Hits one and I've been listening and playing along for a couple of days. One thing I really miss about digital downloads is not having access to the credits.
Pete, I think I did see that gospel album on iTunes so maybe I'll get that one later on. Thanks
rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

Buddy was also on "Good ole days"
Ron Petersen
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Don't think I've ever heard this one before.

Definitely BE on steel

(PS - Video is easy on the eyes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psRyqGn ... nEyoI&t=44