Best LIVE albums with Pedal Steel

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

Another vote for Poco’s “Deliverin” with Rusty Young. As far as country rock..... Poco’s sound was unique, and Rusty and the band’s live show were on fire.

Another second for Buddy Cage’s work.... truly awesome.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
rick andrews

Post by rick andrews »

There are some great choices here but come on. Buddy Emmons Live at the ISGA 1977 is the definitive live steel guitar album.
Dennis Montgomery

Post by Dennis Montgomery »

Mike Bacciarini wrote: Another second for Buddy Cage’s work.... truly awesome.
Was Buddy on the Flying Burrito's '72 live album, "Last of the Red Hot Burritos" or was that Sneaky?
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhh6b_x ... Ww493qAouK

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NrvnJObliA
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Dennis Montgomery wrote: Was Buddy on the Flying Burrito's '72 live album, "Last of the Red Hot Burritos" or was that Sneaky?
Al Perkins
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Following...
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Michael Nesmith with Red Rhodes - "Cosmic Partners - The McCabes Tapes"

Nice to hear Red playing these great songs, live, very clear in the mix. There's even a couple steel instrumentals on it. Very unique, creative player.
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

Well, y'all posted the ones I was gonna post, so I ain't got nothing!
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Gib Wharton with The Holmes Brothers
Curly Chalker with Dick Curless
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

Jim Fogarty wrote:Michael Nesmith with Red Rhodes - "Cosmic Partners - The McCabes Tapes"

Nice to hear Red playing these great songs, live, very clear in the mix. There's even a couple steel instrumentals on it. Very unique, creative player.
The fact that the tape - from 1973 - was only recently uncovered is nothing short of a miracle. This is a seminar on how a pedal steel should support a signer-songwriter in a band setting. This is right up there with the Charley Pride Panther Hall album w/Lloyd.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I got one!
Flying Burrito Brothers - Live In Tokyo
This performance not only features mucho glorious Sneaky Pete Steel playing on every song, it also features some of the best Country-Rock drumming I have ever heard.
It also has my favorite version of White Line Fever :)
https://youtu.be/NPm_1voGkXA
MIchael Bean

Post by MIchael Bean »

Gram Parsons - Live 1973, with Neil Flanz playing some beautiful stuff throughout.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Anything Desert Rose with Jaydee. Also, don't overlook David Hartley's YouTube videos.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Neil Degraw

Post by Neil Degraw »

"The Very Best Of The Happy Goodmans Live", with Lloyd Green on Steel.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

This is great Eric... Somebody needs to compile a list of "LIVE Steel Albums". There are things on here that I forgotten about and other's I flat out didn't know.

But the one that really did know, was the Charlie Pride/Panther Hall album. I wore that thing out back when.

And remember NRPS with Buddy tearing it up, listening to it for the first time on 8-Track outside a buddy's house.

Great thread Eric
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Eric Reeves

Post by Eric Reeves »

Found another:

JD Call- Pure Prarie League - Songs of Pure Harmony, Alive in America 1974 - once he puts the Banjer down
1966 EMMONS S-10 Bolt On Push-Pull
Jacob Marcus

Post by Jacob Marcus »

Buck Owens live In San Francisco 1989 terry kristofferson pulling double duty on steel and lead guitar!!
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Ricky Skaggs "Live in London" (1985) with Bruce Boughton. Fine playing from the entire band.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

As far as I know, the only live steel guitar instrumental album is Buddy Emmons Live At the Convention (1977). I was there that year. No dubbing. Bucky Barret had to sit out after a couple of tries at The Great Stream while Bobby Caldwell nailed it. Larry London read drum charts while he played that particular song. Buddy was flawless on this double LP album. He played through a Session 400 and a Furman PQ-3. He used the PQ-3 to detail the lower mids.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

Dennis- you're saying it's actually Caldwell playing Great Stream on the album?
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Yes, Caldwell. He only played on one song on the album.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

One of my favourites is Ronnie Milsaps's first live album (from the mid-'70s, I believe).

Milsap is a great singer and here he runs through his regular stage-act. Highly featured throughout is the incomparable Dickie Overby, Yes, he plays the intros as he should and there's the expected level of musical discipline that's the hallmark of the band with a top-level artist, but there's also a lot of mischievous free-reined improv from Dickie that just makes me smile. He was on form that night!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Eric Reeves

Post by Eric Reeves »

Hank Devito on steel, Albert Lee, Rodney Crowell and the rest of the Hot Band backing Emmylou on almost all of the best cuts. Just missing Luxury Liner. Great selection of tunes with some very tasty steel work throughout! Good Saturday morning discovery!
1966 EMMONS S-10 Bolt On Push-Pull
Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

I'm no expert, but that Nesmith record is the business! DAMN!

I wholeheartedly second what Joe Alterio said on the topic.
Lynn Fargo

Post by Lynn Fargo »

Eric Reeves wrote:Found another:

JD Call- Pure Prarie League - Songs of Pure Harmony, Alive in America 1974 - once he puts the Banjer down
Totally agree! JD was like the Energizer Bunny on this one. He said some of the boys had gotten into some Turkey before the show and it sounds like JD is keeping them in tow! He's right on the money!
Sho-Bud Pro II Custom, GFI Ultra SD-10, Fender Pro Amp, Fender Mustang II Amp, Morrell 8-string lap, Epiphone 6-string lap, Galveston reso, etc.
Ken Mizell

Post by Ken Mizell »

Charley Pride - Live at Panther Hall - Lloyd Green
Steeless.