Has anybody gigged an emmons bolt on?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Silas Hamilton

Has anybody gigged an emmons bolt on?

Post by Silas Hamilton »

Im just curious, has anybody gigged an emmons bolt on? Ive recently bought a 66 bolt on, I wonder about the tuning instability with temperature.
1961 ShoBud permanent, 1971 Emmons Fatback, 1965 Emmons Wraparound no. 2171, Twin Reverbs. God Bless Weldon Myrick.
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

A lot...have three. Touch up every now and then when the band leader is talking to the audience. There is a fair amount of past threads on the presumed or actual tuning instability of the aluminum neck bolt on changer.. I play them for the tone, exactly what I like to hear...more tuning issues connected to peoples bar hand than bolts tuning issues..
My 1966 is D-1036, your guitar number?
Old Emmons D-10's & Wrap Resound 65, Standel amps!
Old Gibson Mastertones
Silas Hamilton

Post by Silas Hamilton »

George Seymour wrote:A lot...have three. Touch up every now and then when the band leader is talking to the audience. There is a fair amount of past threads on the presumed or actual tuning instability of the aluminum neck bolt on changer.. I play them for the tone, exactly what I like to hear...more tuning issues connected to peoples bar hand than bolts tuning issues..
My 1966 is D-1036, your guitar number?

Mine is D-1045, we’re mighty close!
1961 ShoBud permanent, 1971 Emmons Fatback, 1965 Emmons Wraparound no. 2171, Twin Reverbs. God Bless Weldon Myrick.
Abe Levy

Post by Abe Levy »

When giggling was possible I gigged mine all the time. I have two and neither has been any more susceptible to tuning issues than my cut tails. I’m in LA though where we don’t have huge differences between indoors and out. I have 1066D by the way. Close!
Mostly Pre-1970 guitars.
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Abe Levy wrote:When giggling was possible I gigged mine all the time. I have two and neither has been any more susceptible to tuning issues than my cut tails. I’m in LA though where we don’t have huge differences between indoors and out. I have 1066D by the way. Close!
D-1063 number two of three 😊

Got five gigs on the books starting in May...
Light at the end of the tunnel....
Old Gibson Mastertones
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

There was a long thread not too long ago about aluminum neck bolt-ons and tuning, I think I posted my experience on that one as well. I'm in Texas and this gig from a few years back is typical.. Outdoor, direct sunlight, and I really didn't have any problems. I mentioned on the other thread the only time I've ever had any issue was where I started in the shade and then the sun crept in before the end of the set. Even then, a couple of mid-course tuning tweaks and it was fine. I'm not sure any guitar would be perfect in that situation.

This one is 1016-D, probably a '67 based on what I've read about 'D' numbers. I've also got a 'practice' (like I EVER practice :whoa:) guitar. It's an invoice number bolt-on, 2542.. I'm sold on bolt-ons, and they stay in tune MUCH better than a couple of well known all-pull guitars I've owned.

EDITED: I've always wanted to say this: "I'm nuts about bolts!"

Hey George, I've got a couple in May myself, assuming we're somewhat past this pandemic stuff. It's looking up!

Lost Pines Studio
"I'm nuts about bolts"
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Bill Terry wrote:"I'm nuts about bolts!"
:lol: Well, you can washer hands of that one now. :oops:
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

Well, you can washer hands of that one now.
My apologies to the OP, this thread has gone awry...
Lost Pines Studio
"I'm nuts about bolts"
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Not really Bill...😀 not derailed
People are bottled up...the light will be much brighter come Mayish
Unfortunately some clubs won’t make it....but where there’s a will there’s a way
Old Gibson Mastertones
Andy Beisel

Post by Andy Beisel »

Abe Levy wrote:When giggling was possible I gigged mine all the time. I have two and neither has been any more susceptible to tuning issues than my cut tails. I’m in LA though where we don’t have huge differences between indoors and out. I have 1066D by the way. Close!
I hope you are still giggling daily.
Abe Levy

Post by Abe Levy »

Haha - I try Andy!
Mostly Pre-1970 guitars.
Randy Gilliam

67 D 10 serial number 1086 D

Post by Randy Gilliam »

67 Emmons Bolt On D 10 Rosewood Mica 8 and 5 Emmons Setup Bryan Adams Guitar.
George Kimery

Has anybody gigged an Emmons bolt on?

Post by George Kimery »

I have a 74 wood neck. It is not connected to the changer, so there is no issue with temperature change. I would take a metal neck in a heartbeat. It would only be once in a blue moon that I would be in a temperature change situation and I would just deal with it the best I could. I wouldn't throw away 99% of no problem for a 1% problem.
Silas Hamilton

Re: Has anybody gigged an Emmons bolt on?

Post by Silas Hamilton »

George Kimery wrote:I have a 74 wood neck. It is not connected to the changer, so there is no issue with temperature change. I would take a metal neck in a heartbeat. It would only be once in a blue moon that I would be in a temperature change situation and I would just deal with it the best I could. I wouldn't throw away 99% of no problem for a 1% problem.
I agree, ive played my bolt-on on many gigs since this post and ive had no issues.
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

No issues when I had my bolt on; in fact the guitar seemed to "play itself".
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Bud Harger

Bolt-On Tuning Issues

Post by Bud Harger »

I gigged my ‘67 Bolt-On for 40+ years… from 1973 until I retired at 80 years old in 2017. I never had any troublesome tuning issues. Occasionally, I had to “touch-up” the E9th neck. The C6th, hardly ever.

Make sure everything on the under-side is adjusted properly, and enjoy the bolt-on-tone machine.
bUd

1969 Emmons (Layla) D-10 8f/4k; 2019 Justice D-10 8f/7k; Evans Amps.