R.I.P. Stan Kesler - 10/26/2020

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Jamie Howze

R.I.P. Stan Kesler - 10/26/2020

Post by Jamie Howze »

Late notice, but I heard Charlie Feathers' "Defrost Your Heart" on the radio this morning and was impressed by the steel playing. I researched the player and found he had recently passed. He had quite an illustrious career beyond being a great musician.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Kesler

I was unfamiliar with Stan but searched and found him mentioned in three threads here on the forum.
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

That really smarts. I had not heard of this.

I didn't see a single mention of his passing in any music forum at the time. Or in this steel-centric (??) forum. Unfortunately, not surprising....all things considered.

I wish I could have heard him spin some yarns for a few hours.

I think Stan took more pride in his song-writing and studio productions than in his steel playing. There aren’t a lot of examples of the latter.

But he wrote several of my favorites songs by Elvis: Playing For Keeps, Thrill Of Your Love, I Forgot To Remember To Forget (Presley’s first significant hit), and I’m Left You’re Right She’s Gone (in my personal favorite top 3 recordings by anybody at any time).

Go listen to those at high volume on Youtube.

Additionally…..One Minute Past Eternity (Jerry Lee Lewis), I’d Rather Be Safe Than Sorry (Warren Smith), and Wailin’, a very early John Hughey instrumental.

Not sure how, but he found himself around San Antonio in the early 50s and recorded with the local Al Rogers’ band at that time. He’s at the top in this first photo from 1953.

Second pic from 1955 in Memphis: Stan on a Multichord; Sam Phillips upper left and 19 year old Kenny Lovelace (later with J. L. Lewis), lower right. I think the band is The Blue Seal Pals.

From early 2014, age 85.

Last one: Stan was in on the ground floor with Elvis. Here is Stan's wife Maureen with Elvis at the Eagle's Nest in Memphis in September 1954....weeks after Elvis first recorded and long before he was a national name.

Jamie Howze

Post by Jamie Howze »

Thanks for the pictures and info. It sounds like Stan's career really blossomed after he switched to bass and got into production and writing.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

What an interesting man! Tanks for the information.
One of the first singles I had:
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.