Help identify old steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Smokey Fennell

Help identify old steel

Post by Smokey Fennell »

Can anyone tell me about this steel a friend bought recently. These name on the front says ESTATE. Is it a one off home made or was it production?
Any ideas on what those white buttons were for?
Does anyone have ideas for making it playable again?

Smokey
2 Carter guitars and some Peavey stuff and a Hilton pedal and picks and a bar too
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs... There's also a negative side." -- Hunter S. Thompson
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Looks homemade to me. Looks like paper clips were used to connect the rods (and cables?) to the changer fingers. :?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Smokey Fennell

Post by Smokey Fennell »

I think somebody replaced original parts with any odd thing lying around. The cable pull looks original to me.I'm not sure about the paper clips. They may have been special order.
Smokey
2 Carter guitars and some Peavey stuff and a Hilton pedal and picks and a bar too
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs... There's also a negative side." -- Hunter S. Thompson
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

looks like it's meant to be a lefty, but set up backwards in the pics. Pedal cranks are on the back apron (but so is the knee lever)
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Looks like a Frankensteel to me. :whoa:
Erv
Smokey Fennell

Post by Smokey Fennell »

It absolutely is a Frankensteel. A friend bought it and wants to make a project of getting it working again.
Smokey
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

I see one part that you would find on a Roberts the crank near the changer, but that is it. I cannot recall what Roberts fingers looked like. I thing the rod hooks come from the pedal steels made by Office Depot.
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I remember seeing a Lawn Mower/Small Tractor with a model name of ESTATE. Not sure if it was in the USA or Canada. The name plate looks familiar.

For the 3 white buttons I would guess from the wiring in the photo. The pickup has been tapped for 3 different OHM resistances for the pickup. By pushing each button down in some order would change the tone of the pickup.
If you could hook the amp, jack to a Multi/OHM meter may show resistance changes by pushing the buttons on and off, 1 2 or all 3 at once. Just a guess.
Ron Carter

Post by Ron Carter »

The basics are there ,just needs a few radical modifications and a ton of patience. ok to learn on perhaps. a spare time mission
Patrick Huey

Post by Patrick Huey »

Ian Worley wrote:looks like it's meant to be a lefty, but set up backwards in the pics. Pedal cranks are on the back apron (but so is the knee lever)
Ian,
It could possibly be a special pedal setup for someone right handed but had a leg disability of some sort necessitating shifting the pedals off center like that. I remember Jim Lindsey had wanted something similar after he had his stroke
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!