Capo

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Custer

Capo

Post by Larry Custer »

Anybody know where I can get a capo for a 10 string pedal steel? Thanks
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I have one of his dobro capos and it is top notch.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

Charlie’s is the only way to go. I got one for my 8-string lap steel and can use it on my Dobro as well. Custom made to your string spacing.... well worth every dollar. These things have some mass and serious sustain!
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

Out of curiosity, what would be the advantage of using a capo in a PSG?
Dave Magram

Post by Dave Magram »

Kelcey ONeil wrote:Out of curiosity, what would be the advantage of using a capo in a PSG?
As I recall, Buddy Emmons is known to have used a capo on PSG.
It enabled him to play in a different key phrases that involved open strings.
I used to have one many years ago--it looked like a 1/2" diameter tone bar.

Re: the OP's question--I don't think the charliescapo.com version would work for a PSG. It looks like it works by clamping down on the strings--which probably wouldn't allow the pedals to raise or lower the strings properly.
Perhaps you can make a PSG capo out of a 1/2" diameter round steel rod as described above.

- Dave
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

Dave,
I could see it being useful in that way, especially for bar hammer ons and such, using it otherwise would probably be a complication I would think.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Dave Magram wrote:
Kelcey ONeil wrote:Out of curiosity, what would be the advantage of using a capo in a PSG?
As I recall, Buddy Emmons is known to have used a capo on PSG.
It enabled him to play in a different key phrases that involved open strings.
I used to have one many years ago--it looked like a 1/2" diameter tone bar.

Re: the OP's question--I don't think the charliescapo.com version would work for a PSG. It looks like it works by clamping down on the strings--which probably wouldn't allow the pedals to raise or lower the strings properly.
Perhaps you can make a PSG capo out of a 1/2" diameter round steel rod as described above.

- Dave
Good point about the pedal changes. I had one of those Steel guitar capos. It was pretty much just a tone bar with 1 flat side to rest on the fret board. Can't remember the diameter. I'm sure any bar manufacturer could make you one. Would probably be pretty costly though.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jon Voth

Post by Jon Voth »

OK regarding this topic-I remember:

Not that long ago it was discussed-wedge a tone bar UNDER the strings at desired fret to act as a capo.

There was a particular diameter tone bar that would work for most guitars (less than the standard 7/8" bar).

Anyone remember what that was?
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I have a 5/8 in. bullet bar 3 3/32 long that will fit under the strings on the Carter. It's really snug. I've used it before on one of the other steels I owned but I don't remember which one or the make. I used it a few times but I was too anal about it marring the fretboard to use it much.

Measure your guitar but 1/2" would be too small for most guitars. You'd need at least a 9/16" diameter.

You can buy stainless steel stock online. Try to find a piece the correct length or have the supplier size it because solid stainless rod is really, really hard.

[It's my belief that an under strings capo would be a lot better than one that clamps onto the strings. I think it would allow the strings to move more freely individually with the pedals than if they were clamped down.]

I first heard about this from Tom Bradshaw's Pedal Steel Guitar Products catalog. It was a Jeff Newman course with Tie a Yellow Ribbon and Friend using the under string capo. The info is here, but it doesn't state what size the bar was.

James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Paul Franklin was discussing this on Facebook over the weekend. He recently had Harry Jackson make him a capo to experiment with. Maybe you could call Jackson and ask if it feasible to make you one. Paul had a good deal to say about capo use, but that's another discussion.

Post by Lee Rider »

We use capos on StringBenders all the time with no issues.
StringBender Musical Instruments selling Gene Parson's StringBender products