Unknown 1/4 male plug

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Lotspeich

Unknown 1/4 male plug

Post by Richard Lotspeich »

What brand,,and how to access its innards.
Dick Lotspeich
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

With that knurled barrel, I would think that it would unscrew, but I'm sure you've tried that. Any writing on the cable itself?
Sandy Inglis

Post by Sandy Inglis »

I had a similar one that I had to heat with a heat gun. It was potted with a plastic! Someone had tried to open one end and butchered it but I managed to open up the other end OK with the heatgun.
01'Zumsteel D10 9+9; Sho Bud D10 SuperPro; 6 String Lap Steel (Homemade); Peavey Nashville 1000; Fender Deluxe 85;
1968 Gibson SG; Taylor 710 CE; Encore Tele Copy; Peterson Tuner; HIWATT T40 C 40W/20W Combo
Richard Lotspeich

Bill Sinclair wrote:With that knurled barrel, I would think that it would unscrew, but I'm sure you've tried that. Any writing on the cable itself?
You would think thats what the knurling was for, but it just wont budge.It has a crackle from time to time,so Id like to check it.I might try the heat.
Dick Lotspeich
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

It had to come apart to be assembled.

But, I wouldn't mess with it. Cut the cable and install a new connector (Switchcraft or Neutrik).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Tim Hurst

Post by Tim Hurst »

I have a couple of Peavey branded cords with plugs like that.
Richard Lotspeich

I agree with Jack,,which is why I MUST get it open,,,lol
Dick Lotspeich
George Biner

Post by George Biner »

I think it has to be threaded on but they probably glued it. Vice grips but it won't be pretty.
Guacamole Mafia - California Country Rock band
Electrical engineer / amp tech in West Los Angeles
Mullen RP SD10 E9 / Fender Deluxe Reverb, Princeton, Princeton Reverb
"Now there is a snappy sounding instrument. That f****r really sings." - Jerry Garcia
Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

Like Jack said, cut it off and put a new plug on it. If you have a torch or something like it, you could heat it up to melt the goop that is inside.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Looks Like.....

Seen several of these through the years. It's a cheap import. The barrel was made to look a little like a knock off of the old "Brass/Copper Military" style 1/4" phone plug. But i bet when ya git it opened, it's made of cheap thin alloy. And the black plastic insulator is not a good sign neither. Not 100% sure of that cable neither. I'd toss the whole thing. Oh... i just take pliers and twist those open then toss it, if i'm keeping the cable. :\
Patrick Fleming

Post by Patrick Fleming »

I have a few of those cords, as stated they are peavey. I believe that they have some type of vacuum seal and are not meant to be serviceable. I would like to know if you can get them open without serious damage...