The Door - George Jones

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Kevin Skrla

The Door - George Jones

Post by Kevin Skrla »

I've been curious as to exactly what/where the door is in the George Jones song "The Door". (The slamming door sound recorded in the middle of the song)
I would think that if it was in the studio where they cut, the session musicians would be able to remember if thats what the door in the studio sounded like.

Anyone heard any stories on this?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hey, I read somewhere - a Time-Life mid seventies country compilation CD's liner notes, I believe - that a real door was recorded without success and that a smaller door and frame were constructed specifically for the effect.
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

always assumed something was done with a drum set. Would be interested to know
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

TV and movie studios have a person whose job it is to recreate all these sounds. I think he is called a Foley operator or something like that. I'm sure they have an extensive library. I recall the 50s and 60s recordings where Nashville studios used a spoon on a glass ashtray to make a "tink, tink" percussion sound. I used that on a session with "The Roller Skate Song" a couple of years ago. I've had drummers play FedEX boxs. Incidentally, I have a glass ashtray mounted with a Barcus Berry pickup for "Working Man Blues.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro