My new Mullen G2 S-10

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Pretty steel, Doug - congratulations!

(I'm so used to your normal "abnormal" photo posts, at first I was looking in the background for something bizarre to be going on that needed a caption!)
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Ha! No captions needed here, Jeff. I think I'm gonna like this guitar. I unpacked it yesterday and played it for three hours! That hasn't happened in a while.
David Rattray

Post by David Rattray »

Congratulations Doug it sure is pretty...waiting now to hear it ...David... :)
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I had a friend's G2 at my house for a few days and simply put, it had the best pedal feel I have ever played. Light, positive, smooth. It played like a dream.
Congrats, Doug!
Dennis Montgomery

Post by Dennis Montgomery »

Beautiful! Which mica pattern is that?
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhh6b_x ... Ww493qAouK

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NrvnJObliA
Brandon Schafer

Post by Brandon Schafer »

That’s a great looking guitar! I was similarly excited when I got my G2 and it exceeded my expectations. Congrats!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks, all. The mica is Northern Birdseye. Mullen has a lot of mica samples on their website. I tend to go for a plain and simple look on a guitar, so I ordered this without inlays or multi-color mica patterns.

The guitar plays incredibly smooth and accurate. After many years of playing Emmons push/pulls I have to change my approach a bit though. The pedals on push/pulls are much stiffer than modern pedal steels. So I would often rest my left foot lightly on pedals A & B, and press as needed. With this guitar I can't do that because the pedals activate with the lightest touch of the foot. I guess most modern PSGs do that.
Joe Cook

Post by Joe Cook »

Woohoo! Nothing like getting a beautiful new Mullen! Have fun , Doug, and don't forget to post some of your great playing on it.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Love that single body...something fairly new for Mullen pro guitars.

Would like to have a U12 on the single body.

Congrats on the new horn. Pretty.
Dennis Montgomery

Doug Beaumier wrote:Thanks, all. The mica is Northern Birdseye. Mullen has a lot of mica samples on their website. I tend to go for a plain and simple look on a guitar, so I ordered this without inlays or multi-color mica patterns.
Good mica choice...looks very clean. My SD12 G2 is my forever pedal steel, plays like a dream and is super easy to work on. Enjoy ;-)
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Wow, one fine pedal steel. I still play my pre RP from 94. Mullen is a wonderful precision steel. Enjoy your new steel.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Doug,Congratulations!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

The big question Doug. How does the Mullen compare with your Emmons tonally?
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Looks beautiful, Doug. Blondish mica is lovely.

But will you still be able to stand up and play it--as I have seen you do before?

Chris
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Wow....beautiful....I have been playing a Discovery for the past six years. I love the ease of playing, tone and accuracy of this guitar. I may have to check these out.

Is this the only major mfr that is now making a true S10?
D10's and SD10's are flying off the shelf these days. If someone hasn't noticed this trend, they are missing out
Bruce Bjork

Post by Bruce Bjork »

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:Wow....beautiful....I have been playing a Discovery for the past six years. I love the ease of playing, tone and accuracy of this guitar. I may have to check these out.

D10's and SD10's are flying off the shelf these days. If someone hasn't noticed this trend, they are missing out
Justice makes a true S10.
Banjo, Dobro, Guild D-40, Telecaster, Justice Pro Lite 3x5, BOSS Katana 100, Peavey Nashville 112 in a Tommy Huff cabinet, Spark, FreeLoader, Baby Bloomer, Peterson StroboPlus HD, Stage One VP.
"Use the talents you possess; the woods would be very silent indeed if no birds sang but the best"
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks for all the positive responses. Chris B, I don't think I'll be playing "stand up" with this one. That trick looked pretty good when I was a younger player, but at age 70... not so much. :lol:

Ken, I'll have to play this guitar on a gig before I can accurately compare it to the Emmons. I have some outdoor things starting in April. I will say though, in my music room it sounds very clean, and maybe just a little stronger output than my Emmons. When I get out with the band, bass & drums and my amp cranked, I'll know more.

The body is a bit wider than most S-10s and it's handy for setting accessories on. It will also make an excellent beer holder on those summer gigs! :)

Dennis Montgomery

Doug Beaumier wrote:The body is a bit wider than most S-10s and it's handy for setting accessories on.
I noticed that...looks much wider than the Discovery S10. I'd imagine Mike and the team at Mullen could likely add an arm rest on these as a custom option ;-)

Jerry Berger

Post by Jerry Berger »

Doug,
You made an excellent choice of color on your new Mullen. Enjoy!

John Palumbo

Post by John Palumbo »

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:Wow....beautiful....I have been playing a Discovery for the past six years. I love the ease of playing, tone and accuracy of this guitar. I may have to check these out.

Williams also makes a true S-10.
Really nice Mullen, Doug!
Last edited by John Palumbo on 11 Mar 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Very nice!!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.