New tapered tonebar available

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andy Volk

New tapered tonebar available

Post by Andy Volk »

This was shared on FB. No idea of cost. Can anyone tell me what the advantage of a tapered bar might be?

Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Looks like a copy of the old Chase bars. I have a couple of them. I think those are 3/4 to 5/8 but not sure. I'd have to measure one of them.

I like it a lot for lap steel. It reduces the angle of the wrist and it's just easier to handle.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Like Jerry stated.
When you're playing lap steel, it gives a more natural angle to your wrist. :D
Erv
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I too had a couple of old Chase bars. They were comfortable for playing, but the front of the bar seemed too lightweight IMO. The tone and sustain produced by the bar was not as rich as a standard bar, in my opinion. I found myself pressing down on the front of the bar to get a better tone (not enough weight there).

That ad has a very "old school" look. The graphic of the music store and the bar itself. Very retro looking.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Definitely retro! But this is a new ad and they are currently being sold.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, I understand that this is a new product. I'm just saying, the ad has a retro look, like the old Oahu Co. ads. Kind of cool.
Kirk Francis

tapered tone bars

Post by Kirk Francis »

most of the old "black rajahs" were similarly tapered, though not quite as acutely.
The mainland is intimidating, bewildering, and uncomfortable. And you have to wear shoes. -- Theroux.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I got that you got it, Doug, just didn't want anyone else to think this was a vintage ad because, as you said, it looks right out of the 30s or 40s .... like this one from 1939 ...

David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Doug Beaumier wrote:Yes, or like this style:

Thanks for posting the ad - those are my favorite tone bars even now.
Bill Groner

Re: tapered tone bars

Post by Bill Groner »

Kirk Francis wrote:most of the old "black rajahs" were similarly tapered, though not quite as acutely.
I made a few tapered bars for some guys on the forum. Mine were 3" long .800 butt end and .700 tip. I think they were a little over 4 ounces. They are not easy to make and I won't be making anymore. Mine were Delrin, with brass for the core. I hope Rick doesn't mind posting his great version of Home in San Antone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi50g_pIbT4
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Bill Sinclair

Re: tapered tone bars

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Bill Groner wrote: I made a few tapered bars for some guys on the forum. Mine were 3" long .800 butt end and .700 tip. I think they were a little over 4 ounces. They are not easy to make and I won't be making anymore.
Bill, I should have snagged one of your bars when you were having that momentary lapse of reason. :lol:

At the behest of David Wright, Michael Hillman has been making tapered steel bars with his powder coating for a couple of years now. 3 1/4" long with a 7/8" to 3/4" taper. I asked Michael to make me a couple 3" bars with about the same taper which he did. Great bar, easy to grip. At about 6 oz., there's some inertia to overcome for fast slants and string jumps. I plan to have one of them recoated by Michael and remove about an oz of steel at the same time. I think that he also makes a 2 3/4" long tapered bar for six string lap players.

I also have a Chase bar and a couple of long and short black rajas which I like a lot but as Doug says, may be a bit too light. The titanium "Amos" bar in Andy's first post sells for $62 + shipping on Reverb and is also a bit light at 3.1 oz. I enjoyed reading about the store's history on their website.
rodger_mcbride

Post by rodger_mcbride »

Gryphon Strings still makes and sells a SS tapered bar. They are easier to hold than the round bars IMHO. Basil of Ezzee Slide in the UK made a tapered 8 string Delrin bar for a few people a few years ago. Supposedly, the tapered bar was the favorite of Joaquin Murphy.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Frank Ford at Gryphon Stringed Instruments sells a tapered steel bar and has done so since at least the year 2006.

I use one regularly and like it a lot. Single note passages are very easy to play.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

I've made some tapered bars, and they are a bit more of a pain than regular bars to turn. But not that bad. I've used these on my tricone and like the way they play.

I have some Chase bars. I have one of Frank Ford's bars--it feels good, but the finish on the surface is too rough for my liking. Scratchy sounding but otherwise a nice bar.

I got a tapered delrin bar from Basil, and it's my favorite for lap steel. I don't think he's too keen on making them, but it is sure a good bar. I use it on the C6 neck for pedal steel too. Nice tone with somewhat decreased sustain (which is fine on C6 for me), and I like the way the tapered bar plays.

Dave
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Michael Hillman makes/has made these, he talka about it

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... &start=575
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Steve Waltz

Post by Steve Waltz »

I have a tapered bar from Basil. My hand just feels less strained using a tapered bar. I didn't expect that. I assume there is something about how you hold it that is just easier on the hand.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Andy, I was given that Amos bar for my birthday. It's far too light and small for me. I have to hang on to it for a while but it's definitely not enough ofca tone bar. 3.1 ounce is a toy. Also the diameter at the large end is tiny. I can't see how anyone could use this.