Lexicon mx200 Fixed

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Greg Koenig

Lexicon mx200 Fixed

Post by Greg Koenig »

I picked up a used Lexicon mx200 a week ago and just received a power adaptor. I plugged it in I am not getting a signal through the unit and have tested with different cables and pedals through my send and return. I only get hums and beeps. Any suggestion or experience with these units? I think the unit is a dud.

I will try to post a video as well.

Any help appreciated.
Last edited by Greg Koenig on 22 Feb 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Koenig

Video

Post by Greg Koenig »

Link to video

https://youtu.be/QJHJjtjJsQQ[/img]
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Did it work before you acquired it?

Here's a manual I posted in 2019 on another thread regarding same.

It might not appear on all browsers but if you get one that works it can be downloaded. At least it worked in 2019.
http://tpa-az.com/downloads/mx200manual_b.pdf

There's been some threads questioning this particular model.

And sometimes these types of devices they get old and stop working.

Are the jacks and plugs clean going in/out?

A 9mm gun barrel brush fits 1/4" jacks.

ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
mtulbert

Post by mtulbert »

How do you have it hooked up? If you are going straight from your guitar to the Lex it won't work. There is not enough gain from the guitar pickup to drive it.

You need to come from a line out source (from a pre-amp for example) to get enough gain to make it work.

See if that helps.
Mark T

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet
Greg Koenig

Post by Greg Koenig »

Makes these sounds without having a guitar plugged in. I have tried on my quilter and Nashville 112. Quilter gave no sound nv112 gives hums. I did factory reset. Everything seems to work but it is not picking up anyone’s input signal and making horrible noise. When I press audition button it gets more noisy.

Looked into the power source is ac/ac and the one I ordered is ac/dc. Hoping this is the issue.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/38257 ... =12#manual

I'm surprised a unit would power up with a DC output power supply. The manual shows a 9v AC output unit for power. Specifications shown there. You never want to use a polarized power supply where AC output is required.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

all of the suggestions above have some good points. I'm not sure from your video what you are missing..

1. I tried mine in the regular signal path, steel to lexicon to amp... it sucked.. patch it into the efx loop .
2. when you turn the knob to select a program you need to press it to select..
Is this your model?

the unit you bought may be broken

mine is in a rack hard wired to jacks on the rack
Last edited by Bo Borland on 27 Feb 2021 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Beaty

MX200 - Two models, one AC, one DC

Post by Dave Beaty »

Greg,
In past years, quite a few of the players who use the Telonics TCA500 series amplifiers equipped with a 1U rack slot for effects units chose to use the low-cost Lexicon MX200 as a starter-level effects source for the parallel effects loop in the amp. (As a side note, you must be sure to set the MX200 to either serial OR parallel mode depending on whether you are using it in an INSERT (which is a serial application), or in a true PARALLEL LOOP in your amp, as most amps call everything an effects "loop" while they are 'actually' simply serial INSERTS and we have found that a large percentage of users don't know the difference between SERIAL and PARALLEL modes.) So that is important once you get yours running.

Now, concerning power sources:
Historically, MX200's were powered by a 9 Volt 'AC' wall wart and the circuitry within the MX200 rectified the AC, converting it to Direct Current (DC), and all was well with the world.

We were surprised one day when Lexicon made a change and without any notification, started shipping MMX200's marked for 9V "DC", and supplied with 9 VDC wall warts!

In either case, the MX200's are marked either 9VDC or 9 VAC right next to the power input jack.

If a person picks up a used MX200, it would be a good idea to check the markings on both the unit and the wall-wart. The new DC wall warts will not work with the older MX200's which require AC power.

Having said that, IF you have the proper power supply for your unit, and, assuming that they are both supposed to be in good working order and you STILL get a 60 cycle AC hum, it is likely that one or the other is defective.
Considering repair, the cost may be prohibitive since they are such a low cost unit.

Hopefully, this information may be helpful.

So
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Dave Beaty wrote:We were surprised one day when Lexicon made a change and without any notification, started shipping MMX200's marked for 9V "DC", and supplied with 9 VDC wall warts!

In either case, the MX200's are marked either 9VDC or 9 VAC right next to the power input jack.

If a person picks up a used MX200, it would be a good idea to check the markings on both the unit and the wall-wart. The new DC wall warts will not work with the older MX200's which require AC power.
I never heard of any manufacturer doing this. Wow, enter lots of confusion and problems.

I of course defer to Dave and apologize if any of my information may have negatively interferred.
Dave Beaty

Confusion about input and output on MX200 wall wart

Post by Dave Beaty »

Greg,
I just noticed that you posted that your wall wart says AC/DC. This pertains to the INPUT to the wall-wart, NOT the output. It is commonplace for power supplies to operate properly with both AC and DC power sources in different countries, which can range from 90 to 240 volts, and may be either alternating or direct current.

If you look closely at the label on your wall wart, should see the OUTPUT voltage characteristics, and should show either 9 VDC or 9VAC. This must match the marking on the back of your MX200.

I note that the photo Bo posted is one of the newer 9 volt AC units.
Greg Koenig

Update

Post by Greg Koenig »

Here are some photos of power supply I have ordered another that I think will work.

This was originally ordered. Below will come Monday and hope will fix issues

Greg Koenig

Post by Greg Koenig »

Thanks to everyone. The correct power supply was delivered today. It is working great!
George Biner

Post by George Biner »

If you plug the same voltage DC supply in where the AC supply used to go, the internal rectifier will just rectify the DC -- well, DC is already rectified but that's no prob, DC current will just flow through the diodes. So it's not a fantastic thing to go from AC to DC. (Going from DC to AC however would NOT work, because there's no rectifier.)

I'm curious why it works AC but it didn't DC - was the polarity the same?
Guacamole Mafia - California Country Rock band
Electrical engineer / amp tech in West Los Angeles
Mullen RP SD10 E9 / Fender Deluxe Reverb, Princeton, Princeton Reverb
"Now there is a snappy sounding instrument. That f****r really sings." - Jerry Garcia
Greg Koenig

Post by Greg Koenig »

George honestly i don't understand it. But this reverb is AC input and AC output. Greg