3 way switch on a pickup

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bobby Harris

3 way switch on a pickup

Post by Bobby Harris »

How do you hook 3 way switch on a pickup you may not can but I was wondering if you can. Thanks
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

You need to explain a little more.
Are you trying to hook up a 3 way switch for a D10 so that you can switch between pickup?

I have never heard of using a 3 way switch on a single pickup. What would be the reason?
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Some humbucking pickups have separate leads for each winding. You could have, for example winding #1 to one connection on the switch, winding #2 to another connection on the switch and both connected on the 3rd switch option. Basically wiring an "on-on-on" switch the way a D-10 is wired. I don't know if the two different windings would produce any difference in tone, but a single coil pickup and a dual coil humbucker will have some difference.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
ajm

Post by ajm »

We don't know what your are trying to do.
We don't know if you have an S10 or a D10.
We don't know what pickup you have.

To rephrase what Jack said............

Some pickups have 3 leads, some have 4.
Let's assume that we're talking 3.

You could possibly wire it up:
1) Full humbucking.
2) Coil tapped/split for a thinner/more trebly single coil sound.
3) And MAYBE (the experts can weigh in on this) wire it up so that both coils are in parallel. I wouldn't count on this one, though. It MIGHT give you a thinner sound, but with the added perk of being noise cancelling (humbucking). This is easier to do with 4 leads as found on a lot of 6 stringer humbucking pickups.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Or, you could hook up a single pickup the same way that a Fender Esquire is wired, with a three-way switch, volume, and tone controls......
Bobby Harris

3 way switch

Post by Bobby Harris »

Schubert I thank you hit the nail on the head. Thanks everyone
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

I bought a pair of L-705 wide mounts that have split coils. I intended to replace the LXR-16s that are in my Emmons, but never figured out how to wire a 5 way lever switch to utilize the split coils. Any help with a schematic would be appreciated. In the meantime my old pickups are still in the guitar, with their 3 way lever switch.

I will start a new topic about this project.
Last edited by Wiz Feinberg on 14 Feb 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Then there's the 5 way 10 position Free Way switch.

Just to introduce this marvel of electronic gadgetry.

Check out the PDF for the posibilities.

https://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-2058 ... agrams.pdf

Unless as mentioned if you're using a single pickup using a switch will involve the pickup being wound with multi-taps which means there are separate leads that come off the pickup to make the pickup work at different numbers of windings.

A normal Strat pickup has 8,000 windings (turns) so tapping would take a lead at say 4,000 windings and then at 8,000 to get you two leads or taps.

If no multi-taps, then you'll need two pickups to justify using a switch as in most guitars with more than one pickup.

The single coils in the photo below show three wires coming from each single coil pickup on a Tele.

Or if it's a humbucker, you can coil tap those as it will be inherently a "two pickup" device.

This is best done with a humbucker already set up for coil tapping.

ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

My Telecaster body, Loni Specter square neck, one single-coil pickup. I originally installed an overwound guitar pickup with Fender Esquire circuit. The volume-only and volume-tone positions were musically useful, the third position with bassy capacitor was very muddy. I rewired to give me a wide-open bypass position, volume-only, and volume-tone. That was better, especially with a volume pedal. More recently, I found a triple-tapped single coil pickup that is even more to my liking (Don Mare Stingray).
Last edited by D Schubert on 14 Feb 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Stone

Post by Thomas Stone »

Numerous options available for using a 3-way switch with a single pickup.

If it's a humbucker, you can wire it for series, parallel, coil split, or out of phase.

If it's a single coil, an option would be a 3-position tone control.

As usual, it all depends on what you're trying to achieve.