Bob Calaway of Derby Steel Guitars

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Danny Hammers
Location: Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.

Bob Calaway of Derby Steel Guitars

Post by Danny Hammers »

I am going to miss ole Bob, we talked every few weeks.
He was a very good steel guitarist and great builder. He was mostly known for building the Derby Steel Guitar for Charlie Stepp.
He past Friday morning Feb. 12th. We are keeping Barbara and family in our prayers.

I love the song "It's Not Goodby It's I'll See You Later"

============ Obit

Shepherdsville KY - Bobby Gene Callaway, 80, of Shepherdsville KY passed away on Friday February 12, 2021. He was born on December 28, 1940 in Louisville to the late Otis Callaway, Sr., and Laura (Crawford) Callaway. Mr. Callaway was retired from Phillip Morris, a lifetime member of the NRA and a Baptist by faith. Left to cherish his memory are his wife, Barbara Callaway; daughters, Lisa Hollkamp (Tom), Lora Kline (Ernie), Debra Haines (Scott), and Rhonda Villegas; step daughter, Cynnthea Teasley; step son, James Freeman; 13 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren. Funeral service will be held at noon on Monday at the Arch L. Heady Southern Chapel, 3601 Taylor Blvd. with entombment to follow in Louisville Memorial Gardens West Mausoleum. Visitation will be Sunday from 3-8 pm. Memorial gifts may be made to the American Heart Association. Online condolences may be shared with the family at, www.archlheadysouthernfh.com. Arrangements by O. D. White & Sons. Facemask are required.
Last edited by Danny Hammers on 14 Feb 2021 7:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Gibson Console Grand D8 - Weenick DT-10 - Dynalap S8 - TriboTone Bars
Nashville 112s - Vegas 400
Member:
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

Oh no ! So many leaving us. Sad to hear this.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I had not heard this and I have a friend that lives near him. I talked to Bob just a few weeks ago. I'm so sorry. We were friends in steel guitar and had many good times traveling and visiting.

Condolences to Barb and the family. So sad.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

My condolences to Barbara and the family. Derby is a fine guitar and Bob was a large part of the team. We lost a great builder and friend. RIP Bob.
Dan Galysh

Post by Dan Galysh »

Awww,this is so sad to hear. My condolences to Barbara and family. He was a kind man.
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

So sad to hear.... My condoleances to all. Johan
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Godspeed Bob.

Anyone who builds steel guitars is one of a kind!

ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Wesley Medlen

Post by Wesley Medlen »

Our prayers are with all family and friends. RIP Bob. Wes
Justice S10 Jr, Gibson Electra 6string, Boss Katana 100, Steelers Choice ,Gretsch 6 string lap, Hilton VP