Just a quick question...

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Del Hillier

Just a quick question...

Post by Del Hillier »

Hi,

Anybody every hear of (or done) this: Rewire (or, reconfigure) a double neck guitar to play both E9 and C7 at the same time. As I understand it, there is a toggle switch that switches between pickups on double neck guitars?

*I have never seen a double neck irl - I own a S-10.

I can imagine it could be blasphemous (and even painful) to modify a $3500 guitar in this way...but I wonder how complicated this could be?

Just curious,

D.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

A lot, if not most, double neck steels have a 3 way toggle that will let you do exactly that.
Doug Jernigan has a wonderful instrumental where he plays both necks - E9 & C6 - at the same time.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

My first guitar had a broken switch that was stuck in the middle, so for a long time I knew nothing else!
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

An on/on/on switch is the most common wiring.
Total output volume is reduced in the both-on setting and sympathetically vibrating strings on the neck you are not playing can cause problems. So the middle position is selected when that is exactly what you mean to be doing (neck-hopping or tone-dialing). Otherwise, you select the active neck.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I've never seen a D10 that did not have the toggle switch, unless someone took it out.

However keep in mind. If you have both pickups on at the same time, it changes the pickup load and will change your tone drastically. It will become thin.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Usually the 2 pickups would be connected in opposing polarity to cancel noise. While not as good as humbucking pickups, this can provide significant hum reduction.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

I was thinking the same as Ernest. I don't believe the two pickups would normally come with reverse polarity. What would need to be done is to flip the magnets over in one pick up and rewind it. The hum canceling would be awesome and you'd never want to switch out of that position. You could also wire in the option of series or parallel wiring for the option of a big fat sound or a thinner Fender (Bakersfield) sound. BTW, this all refers to single coil pickups.👍
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Ron Pruter wrote:What would need to be done is to flip the magnets over in one pick up and rewind it.
No, just connect the wires opposite. To make sure, listen with both pickups on in a noisy environment, and connect them in the way that sounds quieter.