Fender 400 bridge and nut modified?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Russ Tkac

Fender 400 bridge and nut modified?

Post by Russ Tkac »

I saw this on eBay and it looks like the nut and bridge have been modified with rollers. Does anyone know if this is a Fender mod or not?

Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Original long scale Fender

------------------
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Those anchors or extensions you see at the bridge are factory. the purpose was to shorten the length of the string to prevent breaking.That is one fine 400 guitar. More than likley a 57 model.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

That's the same nut and bridge as Sneaky's. My '57 1000 Does NOT have the roller nut or bridge, BTW.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 06 December 2005 at 09:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Thanks for the info.
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Jim those roller bridges were an in field modification done by saleman and Fender Service Centers. Shortly after the factory then made them stock from production. It is obvious if you have no bridge assembly as that shown in the photo, it was not modified in the field or at an "Authorized Fender Service Center" This information can be obtained in Richard Smith's book "Fender The Sound Heard Round The World".
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Most of the early-types (flat pickup) that I've seen don't have the "in field" modification. It'd be interesting to look at one closely and compare it to the roller nuts on later guitars to see what COULD be used as roller nuts/brideges on the ones with straight bars.

Although my bar-type 1000, which I lube with dry Teflon lubricant, hasn't broken a string yet.

Followup - I just compared the pictures to my 1000, and 1) the bridge uses completely different positions for mounting holes. The stock ones use two vertical screw-through plates at the hog rings while the "upgrade uses 4 screws into the body; 2) the stock nut is mounted with two screws through the top - the mounting on the "upgade" isn't apparent. The "field modification" had to be pretty complicated with a bunch of drilling involved.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 06 December 2005 at 09:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

This one looks like a mod. Is it possible to find these parts and upgrade a fixed bridge?

Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

It would be even better if someone made one to use the four existing scews rather than drilling four new holes.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I wouldn't mind having rollers on mine. Maybe we can all chip in and have some made. Image

Tommy Spurlock in Texas said he had some made for his guitars. I'll call him and see if he has any extra. When I talked to hin a few months ago he said he was having a bunch of parts made. He plans on carrying on the Sneaky Pete legacy and is converting old cable guitar to rods.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Dave,

Let me know what you find out. I'd like a set on rollers for an old 400.

Thanks,
Russ
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I was also thinking about talking to Gene Parsons who invented the B-Bender. He is a master machinest and has a shop 2 hours away. He also plays old Fender PSGs and he would understand what we're after. He charges $50 an hour just to draw the plans for the parts so I may try to generate some interest and sell some parts just to hopefully break even. I have some ZB parts in mind for him too.

Hopefully I'll move ahead on this after the Holidays.

Dave

I'll let you know.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 07 December 2005 at 09:00 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

i'd like to give making a roller bridge a shot. i have the tools to do it. send me some dimensions or a bridge if you can spare one.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Gary - how about I send you the bridge and nut off my C6 1000 neck to measure for dimensions and mounting? I could include pics of the existing mounting as well.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

OK, I've talked to Gary and the parts go out today if possible. This should be cool!!
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

i sent jim's bridge back with a modification that might work. jim is testing it out now. cross your fingers.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

This really sounds promising!
Patrick Ickes

Post by Patrick Ickes »

I too am interested in this. I wonder if the great tone we all love from these guitars will be lost in switching to a roller nut. I'm looking forward to the results.
Patrick
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

how's it working jim. better answer by email if it's a big flop. haha!
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Actually it seems to be working pretty well! I've just been busy and forgot to answer. The only downside is string changing - the moving parts tend to use gravity and go upside-down. When playing they work fine, though, with no discernable difference in tone.
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

jim. i made those "slipper shells" so they would snap off the bridge by pulling up on them. as you put one string on you could snap the shell on first or leave the new string loose enough to pull it up and snap the shell on under it.
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

here's the idea behind what i did for jim. Image
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

this pic is posted on a couple of other threads. hot subject right now. Here's what Gary made - when I changed strings I didn't even them out...that's why the gaps...but it makes no difference. They work great. this neck is tuned to the top-8 of E9, and I have yet to break a 3rd...or any...string, and it's ben used a lot. Proof's in the pudding, and this is a great idea that works!
Tim Jones of Kansas

Post by Tim Jones of Kansas »

My 1000 didn't have any of those little 'hognose' clips when I got it but it did have the roller bridge.

After a few string breakages, I took some clips off an old 400 I have....

Result is LESS string breakage, and it's probably not completely avoidable in these old machines.

Tim Jones
~)Fender 1000 and nothin' else(~
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

The hognose rings probably make more difference in string breakage than the bridge. With the rings the string ball end is at about a 45 degree angle - without and attached directly to the changer, it's nearly 90 degrees, and a weak spot in the system.