New string type

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Brock

New string type

Post by John Brock »

I hope all here are well..strings..I have always used Cobra Coil strings (God bless Bobbe).......I have used them because of the ..Bakersfield sound...that I get from
my Rus Ler De luxe....So I am thinking of changing up and trying the NYXL strings.
All feedback welcome and stay safe all.
GFI S10 Nashville 400 Epiphone J200 Kentucky BM650 Mandolin Fender 112 Alvarez 5018 12
Rus-Ler Deluxe
Bruce Anthony

Post by Bruce Anthony »

Tell me more about Cobra Coils, please. I am ignorant. :) If it matters, I play a GFI S10....
Bruce Anthony

Post by Bruce Anthony »

Tell me more about Cobra Coils, please. I am ignorant. :)
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

I'm sold on Live steel strings.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I was told, by an employee of Bobbe's, that the Cobra coils were made by GHS and if I liked George L's (also made by GHS) I would like Cobra Coils.

I'm using SIT's on my GFI (and it can sound Fenderish). I have two knocks on the NYXL's, Price and color coding strings for identification. I was given some "promo" NYXL's, when I had the Franklin, and had a color code mix up installing the C6th set.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

Jack Stoner wrote:. I have two knocks on the NYXL's, Price and color coding strings for identification. I was given some "promo" NYXL's, when I had the Franklin, and had a color code mix up installing the C6th set.
I've seen the objection about color coding several times, and I don't quite get it. On the C6th set (I just replaced some last week), green, black, red, and brass are duplicated. For the green, you have .017 plain versus .036 wound; for the black, .020p versus .042w; for the red, .024w versus .054w; and for the brass, .030w versus .070w. So it's pretty obvious if you think about which string you're replacing -- in the case of the red ones, for example, it would be like confusing a G string with a low E string.

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Al, you have it figured out, and I've seen others that do not have a problem with the colors, and others that do. For a first time user it was confusing. I was given two E9th and C6th sets, I didn't have a mix up on the second set.

Price is another issue. I didn't get any more longevity out of the strings than I did with George L's or now the much lower priced SIT's. String gauge consistency (size) is the same as the others (I don't find this a problem on most strings today compared to the inconsistency years ago).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Dan Kelly

Post by Dan Kelly »

I have used NYXL for a couple of years now. I am impressed with their sound and their extended life.

I play / practice for about 90 minutes, or more, per day. A set usually lasts for 6 weeks or so before they start to sound dull. On two occasions, they only lasted about two weeks. Curious! I would be interested to hear if anyone else had the same experience... of if it is just me.

Overall, I really like the NYXL strings.
blah, blah, blah.
Hey You Kids! Get Off My Lawn!
blah, blah, blah.
Bill L. Wilson

The NYXL’s.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

I’ve been using them for a couple of years, and I get 20 or 30 gigs out of a set on my old Emmons. Never had a broken string yet.
Kevin Fix

Post by Kevin Fix »

NYXL's here and happy.... Been using them now about 2 years. Over 30 years with nickel wound Ernie Balls.
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

I have tried practically every single brand string out there & honestly I cannot tell the difference; they all sound the same to me.
So I buy the cheapest, which are GHS pedal guitar boomers.

Same with tubes,picks,cords,pedals,gasoline,motor oil,shampoo,beer,soap,cough syrup,etc....all the same.
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I’m pretty much with Rich on usually getting the cheapest. Mostly I don’t buy the string hype but hear quite a difference in tonal richness with NYXL’s and have found far less G# breakage with Jagwire Strings. That’s my experience.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I don't know what alloy was used for Cobra Coils. Wish I did.

Like D'Addario's NYXLs, the GHS Americana strings for pedal steel are a nickel-iron alloy. They cost less, too.

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/ghs- ... h-strings/

Nickel-iron is a bit brighter and (people say) louder than regular nickel wound strings. I haven't compared the two brands side-by-side because I prefer the mellower nickel sound. I do like the cryogenic plain strings in the GHS sets, and use them quite often on my D6th. They are are available as singles. I use regular GHS nickel (Boomers) for my wound strings.

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/ghs- ... l-strings/

I don't like stainless wound. They're the brightest sound. A lot of people do prefer them, though. Buddy Emmons endorsed S.I.T. stainless. I think that nickel-iron alloys like the D'Addario NYXLs and GHS Americanas are a good trend for modern steel, a sort of middle ground tonally. Personally though, I'm set in my ways. :lol:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Roy Carroll

Post by Roy Carroll »

By PF and they can be purchased here on the Forum from B0b.
Nice licks too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7NAGOS9dtw

Post by Lee Dassow »

Live Steel Strings here. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

b0b
I thought the COBRA name reflected a cobalt alloy.
I have a fairly good supply of Cobra Coils but running low on some gauges...
If GHS did make them for Bobbe I would buy them as i can't get a response from Michele who worked at SGN.
b0b

Post by b0b »

As far as I know, Ernie Ball is the only company that makes cobalt wound strings, and they don't make pedal steel sets. Maybe Bobbe Seymour had a special deal with them.

You can buy 6-packs of cobalt wound singles direct from Ernie Ball at
www.ernieball.com/guitar-strings/electr ... le-strings
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
John Brock

Post by John Brock »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Lots of truth in all comments....Thanks!
GFI S10 Nashville 400 Epiphone J200 Kentucky BM650 Mandolin Fender 112 Alvarez 5018 12
Rus-Ler Deluxe
Larry Allen

Post by Larry Allen »

I used Cobra Coils for over 20 years...switched to NYXL when B0b started selling them...similar tone but the Cobras had black spots (rust?) appear up and down the string after a few months, ..the NYXLs stay clean and last much longer...on a $4000 guitar the cost doesn’t matter :D
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side