Show us your Marlen steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Wow Steven; thanks for sharing that memory. I'm sorry to say I never got to meet your Dad Marvin, but I did of course get to talk to Leonard many times here and there and everytime we talked about Marvin; his face always just lit up. I believe your Dad is the one that made that all-pull changer that they eventually got a Patent on?? That would explain you seeing it in 1978 just before they started building all Marlen's with it. Every time me and Leonard talked about that Changer; he always said "We" as he and Marvin never separated progressions....it was always "Marlen" is the Custom Pedal Steel guitar WE love to Build".
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Freddy Rakes

Post by Freddy Rakes »

Thanks Steve for sharing with the forum those words. Over the years I've had the privilege to share the stage with some of those players that worked with your Dad. Most recently,Tim Stegall who was the tele player during some of those years they played the VFW. The first time I set in with Tim at a gig he told me I reminded him of Marvin Hudson. That nearly knocked me off my steel seat. He had no idea I knew who Marvin was. He and I had a large time at that show. Sometimes it's such a small world!
Nice to meet you on the forum.
Freddy
Zumsteel D10 8x8
SD10 GFI ULTRA
1972 push pull S10 3x2 candy apple red Marlen
Quilter STEELAIR
Nashville 400 black corner 1984
Session 1000
Hilton VP
1938 000-18 Martin
1934-35 TB 3 converted to 5 -string
2002 Martin GE-D18
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

I was the Australian purchaser of the Marlen D10 Gary Sill referred to several posts ago. It had been offered for sale via the forum for some time, and eventually, since I had owned a custom-built Marlen back in 1976, I bought it.

Gary did a superb restoration on the cabinet, and Jim Flynn (I think) refurbished the undercarriage. I ended up re-building the undercarriage, partially to reduce the weight somewhat (those old D10s were built!) and partly to rationalise some of the pulls with dead-straight rods to reduce any potential for friction or binding which might de-stabilise the tuning.

About a year ago I needed to reduce the number of steel-guitars I had so (reluctantly) I sold the Marlen to a fellow -player who was interested in learning the instrument. He had been somewhat shocked at the prices being asked for steels, especially new ones, here in Australia, so we negotiated a fair price and he took possession of it. The new owner is off to a good start as he has a beautiful instrument which plays nicely and holds its tuning as well as any pull-release.

Over the years I've posted many pictures of the undercarriage to help others working on the old Marlens, so I'll refrain from doing so here. Suffice it to say Len Stadler and Marvin Hudson but high-quality steels for very reasonable prices, and those who own and play them have a unique piece of steel-guitar history in their possession. Look after them!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

I friend of mine and fellow Vermonter and forum member Brett Lanier owns a pull release Marlin. Sounds great.
The string spacing is much wider than modern day PSGs.
Is this only true of the pull release Marlin"s?
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I believe the early pull/release Marlens were 3/8" string spacing.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

My 1966 Marlen is 11/32" spacing at the changer, no different than modern steels.
James Crisp

Post by James Crisp »

Mike Ritchie

Post by Mike Ritchie »

My 1970 Model 210, may be looking to sell or trade. It's a lot of guitar to be learning on.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Jay Carroll

Marlen

Post by Jay Carroll »

I am the current owner of the keyless Marlin.