can you show me the interior storage setup on your seat?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Horan

can you show me the interior storage setup on your seat?

Post by James Horan »

I just recently picked up a pedal steel seat kit from Jimmie Hudson and before I finish up the exterior, I was pondering whether I should add a couple compartments.
Since this is my first pedal steel seat, I really haven't thought out how I will utilize the seat storage. If I see some other players' seats out there, perhaps I can some ideas on how I can customize mine.
Anyway, if you could share a photo of the interior of your seat with info on how and what you store in your seat compartment, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Here are my 2. The black one is a no-name(maybe home made)I've had since forever. The blue one is a Steeler's Choice Pro-1.The interior setups are different, but both work fine.

Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

It's been months since I've packed one for a show or a tour, but I remove all partitions, pack a small pedal board and vp, picks and bars in a small pelican case. All this is velcro'd down, strings, winder and cables float on top. Twice in the past few years I've forgotten a vp wallwart-memorable performances- so there's always a Moyo vp velcro'd in now.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Actually, they all seem to have similar spaces. Most players like a space for the voume pedal, a space to neatly fit strings, and basically the rest are for possibles.

I paricularly liked the old Sho-Bud seat that I used from the 80s until just a couple years back. There's a photo of the interior in Mr. Ben's thread. https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... steel+seat

Either that or the arrangement in the Steeler's Choice seat that I'm currently using like the one in Dave's lower pic.

I suppose if you had a particularly need with some custom partions that Dan Rollans st SC could accommodate you.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Sure, mine is more of a Mr Haney collection of stuff I need, I may need and perhaps may never need ! Many times also carry 1 or 2 stompbox pedals as well, I make them fit . This seat photo is rather lite with stuff.

A few months before Covid shut us down I started carrying a Pedal board so this latest photo has no stomp boxes. Carry the stuff you need now but also some stuff you MAY need later. Tools, bandaids, tape, spare tuners , all sorts of adapters ... Even an Ipad/Iphone charger .

I can't tell you how many times something went nuts on a gig , PA , another amp etc, and I just happen to have a quick fix.

I also carry a GIG bag which has everything else I own in it !

I also carry a spare "micro" amp head in the car. I've never needed it but the Bass player did once or twice.

I'm hopeful someone will manufacture a REFRIGERATED seat ! :lol:

Whats in your seat is not about organization but rather "whats in your seat" .

Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Tony, I like your approach. I also carry more than I need and a couple tool bags filled stay in the truck. The micro amp is essential even though I haven't needed it. I often have the task of fixing band gear for the others who are not as prepared. You are spot on with your gear.
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

If you happen to have one of the flat foam inserts under the lid of your seat, that's also a great place to use small strips of Velcro to stash some tuning wrenches, etc.
Bill L. Wilson

Packed Full.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

Just shy of 50lbs., and I carry two extra vol. pedals, and an Anvil briefcase in my truck.
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Two requirements in my seat are a small pencil flashlight and a pair of surgeons clamps. The are great for locating and removing broken string ends.I also have a tool like the pick they use to clean you teeth.
The were very handy when I was playing MCI guitars.
They work well replacing the rubber O rings on the bell cranks.
Keith Murrow

Post by Keith Murrow »

James, here's a photo of my Out West pack seat. The compartment arrangement is a little different than others I have seen but I like it, it's been a very useful layout.