Mark Abbott

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Albert Talley

Mark Abbott

Post by Albert Talley »

We are so sad to report that our precious fiddling friend, Mark Abbott, went to sleep in

Jesus early this morning, Monday, December 14. Please pray for D’Lisa and his family. We

will post more when we know of service arrangements. Mark has been an integral part of

the TSGA staff band for many years and a very dear friend. We will miss his humor,

ready smile, and amazing talent.

Blessings.
Albert and Debbie Talley
TSGA
Gary Watkins

Post by Gary Watkins »

Prayers sent!
If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool. It's just that the person trusted you far more than you deserved.
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

We lost a good one here, a good player and a good man.

Thanks to Albert and Boo for working so hard to get the fundraisers in Texas and Branson put together. They made his last few weeks a little more worry free.

Happy Trails Mark!
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Oh no. Not Mark.
So very,very sad to read of this.
My prayers & deepest condolences to his family
& all of his friends.
R.I.P. my friend.
Ron
"Tone is in the hands. Unless your wife will let you buy a new amp. Then it's definitely in that amp."

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head :)

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

This is a huge loss for all of us. Mark was a fantastic musician and an even better person. The TSGA has lost some good men this year. I can see Dean, Louie and Mark having a big jam session on the other side. RIP Mark Abbott, you will certainly be missed.
Travis Partain

Mark

Post by Travis Partain »

A great loss for all of us. Praying for the family. R.I.P. Mark
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

My prayers for the family. Mark was a super musician and such a warm friendly guy. His presence was a highlight at the steel shows. RIP Mark.
Boo Bernstein

Post by Boo Bernstein »

I am so sorry to hear this -- I just spoke to him on Saturday. Mark was truly a kind and wonderful man. He will be greatly missed by so many people who knew him and loved him! Go in peace, my friend!
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

This hurts me a lot. Great musician, and always in a good mood and a kind word for everyone. I'm going to miss him.
Zumsteel steel guitars, Telonics and Peavey amplifiers, GHS strings.
Eddie Lane

Post by Eddie Lane »

This is too sad. We knew this was coming but I, as the rest of you, was not ready for it. Mark had so many friends. I had not known him until he came to Branson.
But Mark's friendship kind of reached out and grabbed you. He will be greatly missed. RIP my friend.
Buddie Hrabal

Post by Buddie Hrabal »

Wow, what a shock! 2020 has not been very friendly to the business we call "Music" Another great musician, friend and just all around great guy gone home! I'll certainly miss him playing next to me. RIP Brother!
1975 Emmons P/P D-10, Sierra Sesion D-10, Dekley HS-210, Sho-Bud "Blue Darlin" V, Evans FET-500HV amp,Goodrich L-120 pedal
Dick Hitchcock

Post by Dick Hitchcock »

The world is a sadder and lonelier place today without Mark. Prayers for him and his family. Via Con Dios my friend!
Justice Pro Lite 4x5.... NV112.... Steel seat.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Thanks for letting us know Albert.

Talked to Mark a couple of weeks ago. He was positive, but knew what was coming.
I was hoping he would make it through Christmas but our Lord had other plans for Mark.

He was a giant in the music world and will surely be missed by all.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Go Rest High on that musical mountain Mark. I will miss you so much; and thank you for always giving me such great musical enthusiasm ever since we met when I lived down the street from Mooney in Mansfield, Tx 1993.
RIP my brother.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Really sad news. We spoke just this past Friday. I'll miss Mark lots. Getting to play & hang out with him was a total joy, and something I looked forward to every year at the Phoenix show.
So sad... what a terrible year this has been. My condolences to his family and all that knew him.
Vaya con Dios, amigo...

Patrick Richards

Mark

Post by Patrick Richards »

I am profoundly sad today. Mark truly had a heart as big as Texas. Prayers of comfort to all his family and friends during this difficult time.
Breaking strings and gettin dings.
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Terrible news. We knew it was coming but I had thought Mark would have more time. A great musician and an even better person. He will be missed.
Lee Barber

Post by Lee Barber »

Prayers sent for his family. Mark always had a great smile and was a great player. I always enjoyed talking with Mark.
The country and western music world has lost a great member of their family. RIP Mark
Fessenden, Emmons PP D10
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Incredibly saddened to hear of Mark's passing this morning - he was such a great guy and wonderful musician - RIP mate
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Wayne Franco

Incredibly sad news

Post by Wayne Franco »

I just don't know how to take this. I shall be sad the rest of my life because I have always placed Mark in such hi esteem for being such a fine person as well as world class musician. How is it possible to go to a steel guitar convention and not see him. As well as all the others that have passed in the last 10 years of so and this year is probably he worst.
RIP dear friend.
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Mark was a dear friend to me as well and has played fiddle and/or bass for me at various steel shows at Dallas, Branson, Phoenix, to name a few. A gentleman and a great picker. He will be sorely missed. Blessings to D'lisa and family.
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Heartbroken
Frank Carter

Post by Frank Carter »

will miss him greatly
especially on the band stand
Mitchell Smithey

Post by Mitchell Smithey »

Mark will be sorely missed. Such a nice man as well as a fine musician.
Michael McGee

Post by Michael McGee »

On December 2, 2019, tracks were recorded in my studio for my dear friend Eddy Asher's next album. Our buddy Mark Abbott drove from Texas to play bass. Seems like yesterday. But it's a year down the road and my 2 friends are now with Jesus. No human could know that it was to be Eddy's last album and my last time to work with Mark. Every person that you love needs to hear you say "I love you". Over the last 12 months they told me, and I told them. So thankful for their friendship. Guys, save a chair for me in the band. I'll be there down the road a bit, and I'll try hard to pass the band audition. Until then, RIP.