book on the mechanics of steel guitar

Post here if you're looking for something special
Richard Lester

book on the mechanics of steel guitar

Post by Richard Lester »

Looking for a book which describes the mechanics and functioning of all the working parts and how to make adjustments and do maintenance and cleaning periodically-is there such a book available?

Thank you much
Zum D-10, GFI S10 keyless ultra, 2020 Flight Ready SD-10 Rittenberry, Quilter Steelaire, Telonics vol. pedal
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

In 50 years, I've never seen one.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Richard Lester

book

Post by Richard Lester »

Hi Richard,
Perhaps this might be the "right" time for someone to write such a book since most of us aren't able to perform due to this Covid thingy. Of course, I'm not the expert for taking on such a task-anyone?
Zum D-10, GFI S10 keyless ultra, 2020 Flight Ready SD-10 Rittenberry, Quilter Steelaire, Telonics vol. pedal
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

Richard Lester

book

Post by Richard Lester »

Thank you Norman, this is some help-these are familiar to me. Also would like to see assembly/disassembly for the changers, fingers and cleaning them. Might be asking too much. Thanks again
Rich
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

if you look up the patent in google patents it explains very precisely how the mechanism works. here's emmons as an example but many others can be found. https://patents.google.com/patent/US3447413A/en
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Dana Blodgett

Post by Dana Blodgett »

Williams Steel Guitar Co. has a bunch of info on their web site (manual) also similar to Mullins web site manual.
For all pull systems and including the Discovery Model which is pull release system I believe.
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Richard Lester

book

Post by Richard Lester »

Thank you guys for sharing the mechanics. Think I'll leave it to the pros who do the major portion of cleaning the changing assemblies; to complicated for my old thinker to dismantle and reassemble all the parts-matter of fact-I might forget where I placed a part-lol :?
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

JIC you haven't seen it, there is a lot of information on pedal steel guitars on this site that the out of business World Class Steels, Carter Guitars, has left for posterity.

There is a lot of general information plus links to some makers operating manuals. HTH.

www.steelguitar.com

please wear a mask. just do it. it won't kill you.😷
Jim Reynolds

Post by Jim Reynolds »

I have the one, that Frank mentions. I have had it for many years, it is excellent, and I have used it many, many times. Well worth every penny I paid for it. Don.t really know where you might get one. I got mine on e-bay.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Jim Reynolds wrote:I have the one, that Frank mentions. I have had it for many years, it is excellent, and I have used it many, many times. Well worth every penny I paid for it. Don.t really know where you might get one. I got mine on e-bay.
Clem's still selling his booklet on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedal-Steel-Gu ... SwBCtfc2U-
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Jack Hanson wrote: Clem's still selling his booklet on eBay
It's worth noting that Clem's combo platter of the book and a couple DVDs is well worth the few extra clams:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedal-Steel-Gu ... SwXWhbypA8
Bonnie Saher

Maintenance

Post by Bonnie Saher »

DVD care and feeding of your pedal steel. Al Bristol
DVD pedal steel maintenance Mickey Abrams 2017
Richard Lester

book

Post by Richard Lester »

Many thanks to all who have responded on this thread, sure do appreciate the help. I'll be ordering the items when I return home. :)
Rich