First Timer looking for a guitar

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dan Kelly

Post by Dan Kelly »

I try to buy things once. I try to identify quality, the right combination of features and then take care of my purchase. That works for a lot of things.

That approach did not work for my PSG journey. And, I do not know any steeler, who can say they made the right instrument choice on the first purchase.

Learning and experimentation is part of the fun filled experience. The more you play and learn, the more your preferences for an instrument may change. Eventually, most of us settle down and come to terms with what we have learned is "our sound" or what we want out of our rig. There just does not seem to be a shortcut to that end point.

So, dive in, make some adjustments and don't get hung up on making the optimal decision right out of the box... just try for a good decision. And, resign yourself to buying / selling and trading on a few transactions as you go along.
blah, blah, blah.
Hey You Kids! Get Off My Lawn!
blah, blah, blah.
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

This is me only offering my personal opinion, but there are a couple of D10 Emmons push pulls for sale on here that would serve anyone well. Although they’re different than most other steels, if you’ve never learned some bad habits they’re easy to get along with. Also, Ive yet to meet the first person who was ever disappointed with the sound or playability of one if properly setup. Plus they hold their value well if it’s not for you lol!
Ben Waligoske

Post by Ben Waligoske »

Sorry for going MIA for a few days there John! I haven't been checking the forum quite as much lately, oddly, apologies...

You've gotten some great advice from some great folks already, so feel free to PM me or email me anytime with specific questions if you'd like and I'll do what I can to help.
John Criscolo

Post by John Criscolo »

I took a few days off over Thanksgiving, and I never checked back for this thread- Thank you to all who took the time to help me out. I hope to make a deal on a PSG soon, and I'm working with a great guy on some of the pieces needed to make it run. I think Im just waiting on a volume pedal, and I should be good to go- or at least ready for the next set of decisions and equipment!! Thanks to everyone for all the help!
John Criscolo

Post by John Criscolo »

Update! Got a Mullen D10, BJS bar, a Hilton Vol pedal on the way, and a Nashville 400 amp coming tomorrow. As I was getting ready to fly my new guitar home, I hear Leon try to explain Tempered Tuning, Equal Temperament and the fine art of being able to tune to 335.5 cents. :? Another question I have with the set up. Should the knee levers be exactly 1/2 or 1 step? I’m seeing some places that’s it’s better to have them off? Meaning like a 1/4 step, or an almost 1 step? My OCD can’t handle that. E becomes an F, or what the hell’s the point?
Andrew Goulet

Post by Andrew Goulet »

Congrats!

I wouldn't sweat the details of tuning yet. Tuning to equal temperament will work for now (for some, forever)

I'd recommend setting up with at least a standard 3x2. Flip that bad boy over, and hurt your neck staring at how the changes move when you work the levers and pedals. Get those changes in tune, and learn Red River Valley until you can play it well.

After all that, you'll have discarded some of your questions, answered some questions, and thought of about 1000000000 new questions. That's pretty much the natural habitat of many steelers, I believe.
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

John Criscolo wrote:Update! Got a Mullen D10, BJS bar, a Hilton Vol pedal on the way, and a Nashville 400 amp coming tomorrow.
I don't see how you can possibly go wrong with that setup!

I agree with the suggestion to get well and truly started first, then worry about the finer points.

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
John Criscolo

Post by John Criscolo »

Thanks fellas! I’ve been messing around with it- seems like there’s a sweet spot on the bar, I guess I thought it just sat there flat, but I’m realizing that pressure and position make a difference besides just fret position and straight. I get the volume pedal thing- mines not quite here yet. My clod hoppers (feet) aren’t used to being musical- short of a JP wah pedal. So there’s a steep learning curve.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Before you touch the pedals get your hand technique together. Learn how to play in tune and accurately hit the positions all the way up the neck. Learn a few basic picking patterns. Then start looking at what your A+B pedals can do. That should be a lot for your OCD to chew on right there! Then....NEXT year, you can move on! Hahaha.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Dan Kelly wrote:I try to buy things once. I try to identify quality, the right combination of features and then take care of my purchase. That works for a lot of things.

That approach did not work for my PSG journey. And, I do not know any steeler, who can say they made the right instrument choice on the first purchase.

Learning and experimentation is part of the fun filled experience. The more you play and learn, the more your preferences for an instrument may change. Eventually, most of us settle down and come to terms with what we have learned is "our sound" or what we want out of our rig. There just does not seem to be a shortcut to that end point.

So, dive in, make some adjustments and don't get hung up on making the optimal decision right out of the box... just try for a good decision. And, resign yourself to buying / selling and trading on a few transactions as you go along.
or.....you could just jump ahead to the same steel Dan ended up in his steel guitar soulmate search......Sierra!

Just kidding, good luck, have fun and Happy Holidays!
Greg Forsyth

Post by Greg Forsyth »

John,
Glad you got set up. Soon after I got my PSG I signed up for Paul Franklin's E9 course called Foundations. Its offered by Music Master and you can find all sort of postings in the Forum by John Spaulding, who is the rep for Music Master.
Foundations is a one year deal for $99.00 and you have access to it 24-7. A great value for a very well done course.
Paul also has a C6 course that I will probably get into after I am comfortable on the E9.

Quick question -did you buy the Mullen D10 from Mullen?
Dennis Montgomery

Post by Dennis Montgomery »

Greg Forsyth wrote:John,
Glad you got set up. Soon after I got my PSG I signed up for Paul Franklin's E9 course called Foundations. Its offered by Music Master and you can find all sort of postings in the Forum by John Spaulding, who is the rep for Music Master.
Foundations is a one year deal for $99.00 and you have access to it 24-7. A great value for a very well done course.
I'd highly recommend the Foundations course to anyone just starting out (and those that have been at it awhile but never got a proper...well..."Foundation" to build on). Regardless of what style you want to play, this course is well worth every penny ;-)
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhh6b_x ... Ww493qAouK

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NrvnJObliA