low or high volume pedal?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Francisco Castillo

low or high volume pedal?

Post by Francisco Castillo »

Hi all.
I've been practicing with my old Ernie Ball VP Jr. and it's a bit scratchy no matter how much contact cleaner I use, so I thought it's time to try a better pedal.

I'm gonna try a Goodrich passive volume pedal, but can't decide High or Low profile.

Only play lap steel, no pedal steel guitar, and use a desk to place the lap, so the height of the Ernia Ball hasn't been a problem for me.

How do you choose High or Low profile?

thanks a lot.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have always preferred a low profile pedal. :D
Erv
Eugene Cole

Re: low or high volume pedal?

Post by Eugene Cole »

Francisco Castillo wrote:Hi all.
I've been practicing with my old Ernie Ball VP Jr. and it's a bit scratchy no matter how much contact cleaner I use, so I thought it's time to try a better pedal.

I'm gonna try a Goodrich passive volume pedal, but can't decide High or Low profile.

How do you choose High or Low profile?

Why are you wanting to replace the whole pedal instead of just doing the routine maintenance of replacing the potentiometer?

Are you unsatisfied with other aspects than the scratchy pot or the profile of your E.B. Jr pedal?

Selecting the profile of your pedal comes down to discerning how elevated you like your foot to be.

For me; I tend to focus Just as much on angle-range between fully-muted and full-gain. Different pedals physical attributes offer different start and stop angles. And which pedal a person prefers is influenced by whether the player wears heeled-boots or flatter soles.

Anyhow; I find I NEED to test-drive a pedal before I purchase a pedal. I also find that I prefer different pedals when standing than I use when seated.
Regards
-- Eugene <sup>at</sup> FJ45.com

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

In addition to playing seated or standing, footwear makes a difference. I wear boots with a 1” heel, which work very well with a low profile pedal. If I wear flats, it’s a little uncomfortable keeping my ankle turned upward.
G Strout

Post by G Strout »

I stopped using the "bigfoot" volume pedals quite awhile ago. I always felt like I was driving a bulldozer.... and for what reason?
Bought a Moyo pedal and have had no trouble adjusting to it. Small, correct height, and I am able to pack it anywhere I have to go. Doesn't take up half the damn pedal board either.
Melbert 8, Remington S8,Remington D8, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Old Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

I would get the Ernie Ball pedal going. The method of spraying the spindle, in the hope the lube will get down to the problem, is wishful thinking. If the pot is newish, and has no lube port, I would carefully drill a small hole in the side that would take a typical plastic tube from the spray can. I stand when playing, so the lowest pedal would be my choice. I cannot imagine wearing shoes with a VP. I live in board shorts and flip-flops 95% of the year.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
David M Brown

Re: low or high volume pedal?

Post by David M Brown »

Francisco Castillo wrote:Hi all.
I've been practicing with my old Ernie Ball VP Jr. and it's a bit scratchy no matter how much contact cleaner I use,
I use the standard low pedal when I use a volume pedal.
Eugene Cole wrote:
Why are you wanting to replace the whole pedal instead of just doing the routine maintenance of replacing the potentiometer?
That what I was going to suggest - replacing the pot in your Ernie Ball.

I have a 70's Fender volume pedal that is now on its 3rd pot.
Dustin Schrimpsher

But what about angle?

Post by Dustin Schrimpsher »

I use either a Ernie Ball Jr or my “Big” Ernie ball. The big one is cool because I can adjust it so as it bottoms out quiet but not silent, I like that on PS.

What I want to learn about are pedals with a different angle. I think someone in the thread mention it was an issue with cowboy boots.

Obviously it’s manageable, but my calves can really take a beating after a couple hours on stage. Would a lower profile pedal be more comfortable?
Francisco Castillo

David Matzenik wrote:I live in board shorts and flip-flops 95% of the year.
Very similar situation here, David.
Haven't considered the height of the footwear, and playing seating vs standing.
So, I'll study the subject again, and in the meanwhile I'll try to fix the scratchy pot of my Earnie Ball VP jr.

Thanks a lot for helping.

(will look for that Moyo VP)

As always, very helpful answers you give
As always very grateful I am.
Francisco Castillo

G Strout wrote:
Bought a Moyo pedal
I write Moyo pedals and Google replies Joyo or Mojo...
Ebay the same. Can't find Moyo pedals.
Brad Davis

Post by Brad Davis »

I use the low profile Goodrich and really like it. I think if you play console it matters only slightly, depending on how easy it is to adjust the height of your steel and/or your chair. For lap it's probably just a matter of taste, but the low profile is slightly more compact and travels easier, and works great.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Mick Hearn

Post by Mick Hearn »

I have both high and low pedals and on the lap steel can use either. With the big one, if my knee is up against the guitar I just slide it forward. I also have a Sho-Bud 6139 pedal steel, and if using the Sho-Bud pedal my knee gets locked under the guitar body. Makes it awkward as both my E changes are on the right knee. The low profile is a must on that guitar.
ShoBud 6139, Remington Steelmaster D8, National D8 Console x 2, George Boards Lap Steel, National New Yorker.
Francisco Castillo

Greg Cutshaw wrote:Link to Moyo pedals on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/4390294-moyo-mini-volume-pedal
WOW

found it locally.
That was lucky.

i'm gonna try it.

(Next in the list is the L-120 Goodrich VP.)

Thanks a lot !!!!!