Shipping costs on lap steels

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Casey Lowmiller

Shipping costs on lap steels

Post by Casey Lowmiller »

Does anyone know what an average or fair shipping cost is on a lap steel in the USA? This would be a single neck, 6-stringer comparable to probably a Fender in weight. Has anyone bought or sold one recently?

Maybe the better question would be, what’s a fair price for shipping?

I haven’t bought or sold a lap steel and dealt with shipping in a very long time!

Thanks,

Casey
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Can't speak for shipping charges for anyone besides the post office, which is my shipper of choice. Recent attempts to emasculate the US Postal Service by the current administration have resulted not only in diminished service, but exponentially higher rates. I figure about $50.00 and up to ship a lap steel nowadays for most locations in the continental US from where I live in south-central Colo. For a super-valuable instrument, insurance will increase the cost accordingly.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

weight? destination? size?

you can go online to ups fedex usps and put in the weight and size of the package and where its going to and get some numbers.
David Venzke

Post by David Venzke »

+1 on this ...

but make sure to round sizes UP. An inch or two on your dimensions can sometimes make a significant difference in cost. But you can also see how to save money by reducing one dimension by just an inch or two sometimes.
Bill Hatcher wrote:weight? destination? size?

you can go online to ups fedex usps and put in the weight and size of the package and where its going to and get some numbers.
Robert Allen

Shipping costs

Post by Robert Allen »

I ship UPS whenever possible. Depending on CONUS location, shipping a 6-string lap steel costs $32 to $58. For Hawaii, I use postal service. The last one was $66 shipping. -- Melbert Guitars --
Frank James Pracher

Re: Shipping costs

Post by Frank James Pracher »

Robert Allen wrote:I ship UPS whenever possible. Depending on CONUS location, shipping a 6-string lap steel costs $32 to $58. For Hawaii, I use postal service. The last one was $66 shipping. -- Melbert Guitars --
This is spot on with what I've experienced as well... I generally say 40 to 50... If it's going west of the Rocky's I've taken a small hit but never too bad... I generally only ship in the Continental US.
"Don't be mad honey, but I bought another one"
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

I have shipped dozens of lap steels across the U.S. When carefully packed My steel guitars weigh between 15-20 pounds. When the buyer tells me where to ship, I enter the weight, package size and address in the USPS priority mail calculator online.

https://shippingeasy.com/usps-priority- ... alculator/

I ship from Oregon, so sending one to California is less than shipping to Georgia... at least $50.00 to the east coast. Then I always pay extra to insure the full value of the steel guitar.
Francisco Castillo

Extra $$

Post by Francisco Castillo »

I paid U$ 500 for the last Lap i bought.
Thing are extra expensive to bring'em down here...

ConUS - Miami - Chile - Customs Office - Easter Island.