Running M/Bytes and Windows Defender?

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Donny Hinson

Running M/Bytes and Windows Defender?

Post by Donny Hinson »

I just got a new computer, and installed the ubiquitous Malwarebytes for protection. Seems to be working fine, but should I activate the W/Defender along with it, or will that cause issues?

(Acer desktop w/Win10 O.S.)

Thanks in advance! :)
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

I run both on all of my computers.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I run both on mine. Defender is an antivirus program, Malwarebytes is for malware. Two separate issues.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Thanks guys. I bought the Malwarebytes Premium, and evidently that includes virus protection. At any rate, when I enable the MB Prem, the Defender real-time scanning is disabled, and only periodic scanning can be enabled for Defender.

Hope that's good enough. :(
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Donny Hinson wrote:Thanks guys. I bought the Malwarebytes Premium, and evidently that includes virus protection. At any rate, when I enable the MB Prem, the Defender real-time scanning is disabled, and only periodic scanning can be enabled for Defender.

Hope that's good enough. :(
I have Malwarebytes Premium and Windows Defender and both run with full protection. I'm sure there was an optional setting I applied to get Defender to stay in the fight, likely found under the Windows Defender settings panels.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I too have premium and don't see any option in Malwarebytes for AV or to disable Defender. Maybe you bought something extra?

I just did a clean Win 10 2004 install (dual boot with old Win 10) and installed Malwarebytes and moved registration to this new install so I have the latest Malwarebytes version.

I agree with Wiz as its probably a Defender setting that needs enabled. Defender also includes Firewall that you also need.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Thanks Jack. I had no problem with the firewall staying active, but I couldn't find a Defender setting that would allow both to remain active. I finally found an option in the M/B security settings...(unregister) Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center that allowed both to live in harmony.

I also found three more options that were not enabled:

Scan for rootkits
Use expert algorithms to identify malicious files
Block penetration testing attacks

Should these be enabled too?
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Here is my setup, which are the defaults.