8 string - 70s OMI or new Gold Tone

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Marc Stone

8 string - 70s OMI or new Gold Tone

Post by Marc Stone »

Have this OMI 8 string that I’m enjoying, but the vibe is tired and needs a change.

Knowing that “better” is greatly subjective, would you prefer an old OMI w this weird, “modded looking but I don’t think so bc the headstock looks unmodded” guitar w new cone or a new gold tone 8? I owned a round neck gold tone 6 string and though it was a solid instrument.
The OMI holds tune and has a pleasant, if weak tone, but I’m hoping that’s more vibe than anything.

Thx!

David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

I have the Gold Tone PBS-8 with the Beard Shop Set-up, and I love it. I don't truly know how much difference the Beard Set-up makes - that's just how mine came - but the common wisdom is that it makes them quite a bit better.
Your OMI photo looks like the neck is significantly narrower than the string spread. The Gold Tone has a full width neck for 8 strings.
A new Beard cone might make a big difference in your OMI's tone and output, and would be a pretty inexpensive experiment.
Hope this helps a bit. Good luck. cheers
David K
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I installed a new Beard cone & spider in my early '80s OMI 60-D. A noticeable sonic upgrade.
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Since there’s no such thing as too many guitars, you should keep your OMI and acquire a friend to keep him company.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database