Any "safe" driver downloading sites?

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Other than the manufacturer of the item or software itself, are there any websites out there where I can download device drivers without fear of getting viruses and adware?

`
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I don't know.
But why would you avoid the manufacturer?
Maybe to find older drivers that work better?
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I work several computer forums. The consensus is to avoid the driver update sites. Many times wrong drivers are given or even older drivers, not counting most want money and some have viruses and adware, etc.

Also the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies to updates and especially BIOS updates as on many PC's a failed/corrupted BIOS and the only option is to replace the motherboard.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Thanks guys. The manufacturers seem to drop support after 10 years (it's an old XP computer I'm trying to keep operating).
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

With an old XP machine I would doubt that any new/newer drivers are available. Unless there is a problem with a specific device there is no need for any updated driver on a system this old. Microsoft dropped fixes for XP a couple of years ago, too.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit