Johnny Bush

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

Sad news. I loved hearing Johnny sing and entertain. The great Country Caruso.
Chuck
Last edited by Chuck S. Lettes on 17 Oct 2020 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buddie Hrabal

Post by Buddie Hrabal »

Sad news for sure! Johnny played my kind of music! Just glad I had the opportunity to work with him a few times. RIP Johnny!
1975 Emmons P/P D-10, Sierra Sesion D-10, Dekley HS-210, Sho-Bud "Blue Darlin" V, Evans FET-500HV amp,Goodrich L-120 pedal
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Marty, that was the Big E on that cut of Wish I'd Seen Your Going, Coming.

What a perfect song and music.

I have had the honor of introducing Johnny on the big stage many times. He would always tell me when his set was over "Thanks for pulling me off".

At first I thought it was rude, but then he told me "no seriously, thanks for pulling me off".

RIP Friend
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

Jeez, I never stopped listening and we can still listen...
Shaun Marshall

Post by Shaun Marshall »

What I didn't learn about Texas Steel Guitar from Jimmy, Buddy, & Dicky, I learned from Mr. Johnny Bush. Feels like I lost my Pop all over again. I'll be lowering an E for JB tonight.
Don Sulesky

Johnny Bush

Post by Don Sulesky »

I remember back in 2004 when we had our FSGC HOF show and he sang and also played some drums for us.
He was one of my all time country singers.
Rest in Peace...Johnny
Private one on one lessons available
Member: FSGC, PSGA, TSGA
Co-founder: Florida Steel Guitar Club

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
Bruce Heffner

So Long

Post by Bruce Heffner »

How fortunate to have been able to attend those great ET Midnight Jamboree's with Johnny and Buddy it was a magical time. God Bless them all.

Bruce W
Bruce from Arizona these days
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

I just read this about Johnny Bush and his passing. This is like a punch in the gut for sure. For well over 50 yrs., I've been a huge fan of his. The Ray Price records of the 60s and Johnny Bush recordings of the 60s and early 70s are what made me want to play the steel guitar.

I had the fortune of meeting Johnny and even backing him in the mid-late 70s. What a cool guy..!!

I'm so saddened to hear of JB's passing... one of my top 3, all time favorites.

RIP now Johnny and be with our Lord. My sympathies and prayers go out for Johnny, his family and friends.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
Neil Lang

Post by Neil Lang »

Sad news for certain. We were fortunate to hear Johnny live on stage in Dallas and in Phoenix a few times. He was always a highlight of the steel shows. Such a great friend of the steel guitar!!!!! RIP Johnny Bush!!
Sho-Bud Steel Guitars, 3 Super Pro's, 1 Super Pro II (Rose) & 1 Finger Tip
Fender Guitars & Basses
Peavey Amps & Sound Equipment
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

In the 1980s, on my long weekends off from my work, I would go to Pasadena,Texas and hang out at Johnny Lee's club over on Spencer just down from Gilley's. I met a local artist named Joe Cruz. Joe one night told me a Johnny Bush story about him, Johnny and Willie Nelson were in Austin many moons ago,starving. Needless to say Willie went on to bigger things.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

On the day of his visitation, and the day of his internment, Mission Funeral Home had a video setup at the facility to record testimonials from significant folks in Johnny's life, reminiscences of his band members, and thoughts from his family. Also the final performances of the most recent Bandoleros as they send the Chief off with their music. I was happy to be there to participate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsUcvXd ... KHWQ0NIws0
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Nice ceremony Herb. Touching tribute and history of Johnnys long career.